Storm cap for SEi?

Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset

b*****r; well that went well!

Personally I would say it doesn't fit, it would need significant alteration of the actual fabric part to fit properly. (Which I'm pretty sure SBfS just haven't time to do at the moment, from what people are saying. It's really a new design from scratch, to do it how they do it.)

image.png

image.png

To be 100% fair, neither the wind deflectors, nor the flared arches are helping, BUT, this fit the car perfectly when it had the ZK tub even with the flared wings - which make it trickier to attach the front securing lines.

It fits mine so badly, there's no point me keeping it, so might as well get rid, doh!

On 11/07/2022 at 21:54, Richard (OldStager) said:

I wonder why they only need to make it less wide, very odd. Did you say you woulod supply measurements, maybe they don't have a pattern.

As said before, they are highly tailored to the car and hood/roll bar shape; they are sculpted to fit both the roof line and the rear arches, around the wing mirrors and windscreen, etc.  Normally, to make a new version of these, they have to have your car to use as a template for a number of days, (it used to be a week). It's a big job. They won't do a half :arse:'d version! As their name and reputation is all over it!

To be fair, a regular ZK body version might just sit well enough on a narrow, for many to be OK with. But it just may not tighten down properly around the rear wings, and possibly screen. It would be one of those things some one would just have to try it and see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

As said before, they are highly tailored to the car and hood/roll bar shape; they are sculpted to fit both the roof line and the rear arches, around the wing mirrors and windscreen, etc.  Normally, to make a new version of these, they have to have your car to use as a template for a number of days, (it used to be a week). It's a big job. They won't do a half :arse:'d version! As their name and reputation is all over it!

To be fair, a regular ZK body version might just sit well enough on a narrow, for many to be OK with. But it just may not tighten down properly around the rear wings, and possibly screen. It would be one of those things some one would just have to try it and see.

I didn't make it easy for myself by fitting a Cat7 frame and screen all those years ago, so anything I want making it's a home made affair from that day. However now I have found the material and that hole punch life has been made somewhat easier.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2022 at 21:54, Richard (OldStager) said:

I wonder why they only need to make it less wide, very odd. Did you say you woulod supply measurements, maybe they don't have a pattern.

I've had a go now without the wind deflectors on, and though far from perfect, the fit is better. I still suspect they have a slightly different version for the traditional ZK, compared to FW bodywork though. But mine "sort of fits" well enough to keep hold of for emergencies!!

Just to throw into the mix 😃

I’ve just gone from zk bodywork with long wings and jap roll bar and lockable boot lid, to ZK bodywork , flared wings, lockable boot lid ( now modified) and half cage.

the storm cap has gone from a good fit to no use now due to the extra height of the half cage ( so available )

the half hood, I have made strap extensions and is surprisingly a good fit over the bar, but due to the height does have a gap above the doors , not a problem with the wind deflectors on .

Also as the storm cap no longer fits I fitted a wide body tonneau

yes this does encroach onto the front edge of the boot lid, but I can live with that.

there’s been a few advertised at reasonable cost lately

if pics are required give me a shout and I can grab some tomorrow as just prepping for Belgium on Monday / Tuesday 

• Like 1

Hiya Garry would be interested if you could pm me pics and price and postage thanks

David

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Sheppard said:

Hiya Garry would be interested if you could pm me pics and price and postage thanks

David

Will sort pictures tonight and message you 

• Like 1

On 13/07/2022 at 11:24, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

b*****r; well that went well!

Personally I would say it doesn't fit, it would need significant alteration of the actual fabric part to fit properly. (Which I'm pretty sure SBfS just haven't time to do at the moment, from what people are saying. It's really a new design from scratch, to do it how they do it.)

image.png

image.png

To be 100% fair, neither the wind deflectors, nor the flared arches are helping, BUT, this fit the car perfectly when it had the ZK tub even with the flared wings - which make it trickier to attach the front securing lines.

It fits mine so badly, there's no point me keeping it, so might as well get rid, doh!

Thanks for the info and images Dave.

It doesn’t sound like either would be any good for my car, but just for info Softbits list both ZK and FW StormCaps which may be useful for others.

I used to have a decent tonneau cover before I sold the car, but all the poppers were removed when it was rebuilt and I actually prefer the look of it without so I’ll have to find another solution. Even one of the car umbrellas would be worth considering I guess.

7029F9A2-CBD1-43DB-907C-E1165E21EF0B.thumb.png.410fe7dc475eb8ac1006ad5c4b8e7a2e.png

59B317A5-A893-43FC-9E93-C8BD6D6324AC.thumb.png.890baf87b6a38b7f1473792a4d01fedc.png