Brittany Ferries

Neil Moffatt

Hello, I am planning to take my Westfield to Spain later in the year. Does anyone have any experience of embarking and disembarking ferries as I’m a bit worried about the ground clearance on the ramps. Thanks. 

Dover-Calais a few years ago now and no issue at all with P&O.

the only problem was the speed bumps through customs on the way home as I was running low at the back due to the two cases of beer I’d got on the back.

• Haha 1

Had no issues what so ever with the typical P&O cross Channel ferries. though if you need to stop on the loading ramps, for heavens sake don't trust the Hi Spec handbrake to hold you!! :laugh:

As long as your car isn't especially low you should have no issues.

• Haha 1

We did find on one crossing, for Le Mans, they grouped loads of us together, up front, but that also meant we were on the open, upper deck for the crossing. Shower/storm cap type cockpit covers were definitely really handy for that crossing. Otherwise, can't think of a single issue on the ferries themselves. As Mark said, the occasional speed bumps to navigate at the docks, but that's about it.

Just approach the ramps and an angle and don't spin your car with the throttle on the shiny deck floors, the Captain doesn't appreciate it 😉

• Haha 1

Good point if it's wet, and you have semi slick tyres especially, don't let them queue you on the steel grate loading ramps, wait until it's clear, then you can go straight up. I found that first time out, it can be a bit slippy if you have to restart from part way up.

Oh, and have fun!! You'll find all the things you tend to worry about before hand will just evaporate in the Spanish heat, once you get going.

Just give the car a good thorough spanner check first, take a few sensible spares, including throttle cable, and have fun!

Enjoy the trip - I was part of a group of 4 Westfields that took the 'economy' commercial vehicles ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao in 2016 - it's a long journey but the bar/restaurant are good and having a cabin we slept well (lubricated) - no problem getting on/off the ferry and you've broken the back of the journey south. I've also taken ferries to the Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man and the Euro Tunnel - no problem getting on any of them event loaded and 2 up.

• Like 1