Lincolnshire Newbie

daveclow

Hi everyone,

I collected my Westfield today and joined the club. New car day is up there with the best!

It’s a 1998 SE 1700 Crossflow producing 120bhp. It’s a recently completed lockdown project by a chap who’s done a really nice job on it. I’m not a mechanic but interested in learning so I wanted something ready to drive and this ticks all the boxes. 
As a beginner in these cars I felt it sensible to start with modest power, as much as I love going fast. The first drive was spectacular, I couldn’t stop smiling. The noise from the carbs is addictive. Driving on familiar roads was awesome and something I’ve dreamt about doing in one of these cars for over 20 years.

Rather unfortunately I stopped for fuel during the 2.5 hour drive home and it wouldn’t start again. I’m getting the “click” but it won’t turn over. A nice bystander gave me and push and I jump started it to carry on home. This evening it still won’t start so I’ve popped it on the trickle charger which read less than 50% charge. My gut feeling is the starter needs some loving.

The first modification will be raising the steering wheel a bit for more knee room. I can’t really drive too fast as my knees are in the way of my hands at the moment. Anyone have any pointers here? The seat is bolted into position as far back as it can go. I’m 6’3” but must have long legs 😅

I hope to see some of you out and about.

cheers,

Dave

480D4552-DC39-444D-B3E9-5672460B3999.thumb.jpeg.c0fae40f525989bd5352e04523d934d1.jpeg

965ACF68-D796-4C2F-B9FE-25D032FEE588.thumb.jpeg.d9fea48a0995d19d1347d0832b8c261f.jpeg72699F70-6FE4-4A2A-AE0E-83ACE72EF63E.thumb.jpeg.4a9f1dcc875171a1faeefdaca762ab40.jpeg

10686439-A805-4440-8622-2D23F70FC9C6.jpeg

• Like 6

welcome from Northampton . Lovely looking car. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome! Nice looking car.

• Thanks 1

Welcome from South Derbyshire 👍

I'm 6ft 5, so feel you pain... my first car was similar in having no lowered floors.

I did a few things, first I added a quick release to the steering wheel (effectively acted as a spacer) and then went for a 280mm wheel. Finally I removed the seat runner on the drivers side and bolted the seat to the floor

1 hour ago, RobH72 said:

Welcome from South Derbyshire 👍

I'm 6ft 5, so feel you pain... my first car was similar in having no lowered floors.

I did a few things, first I added a quick release to the steering wheel (effectively acted as a spacer) and then went for a 280mm wheel. Finally I removed the seat runner on the drivers side and bolted the seat to the floor

Hi Rob, thanks for the tips. I think the seat is already bolted straight to the floor so no runners to remove. I’ll give the steering wheel QR a go though, thanks for the tip. I only need a small amount of space to make all the difference so that might do it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, neptune said:

welcome from Northampton . Lovely looking car. 

Thank you! I was actually ‘broken down‘ in Northampton on my way home from collecting the car 😅

:ww: from a sunny and windy Norfolk. That's a lovely looking Westie! I also have a wide body fixed rear arch car and love the look of those rear arch protectors. First time I've seen any like that for our type of body (but then I haven't really been looking...) 

Welcome from Lincolnshire 😀😀.

I normally travel to join in with the Peak District group which is really active and well run (have to say that as @Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative is probably reading this). If you would like to join in sometime, keep a look out on the forum and drop me a note and I’ll try to arrange a convoy there!!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AndrewBClarke said:

Welcome from Lincolnshire 😀😀.

I normally travel to join in with the Peak District group which is really active and well run (have to say that as @Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative is probably reading this). If you would like to join in sometime, keep a look out on the forum and drop me a note and I’ll try to arrange a convoy there!!  

well worth the drive for cake and good  people, also some driving too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, si_salisbury said:

well worth the drive for cake and good  people, also some driving too.

That’s cool to know, thanks. I’d like to make the trip out with some fellow members so will keep an eye out for upcoming events. The car has a couple of niggles that I need to iron out before I do. 
Today, during my second drive in it, it leaked coolant out on the road and started getting hot. It’s also done a wee on my garage floor, so I need to look into that. Not the best start, 2 drives and 2 issues. Here’s hoping the problems don’t pile up too quickly for my novice mechanic status 🤦

From what I remember, the click is a underpowered battery. As far as coolant pipes are concerned, don’t know much about age of car etc but maybe time to invest is replacements / it would be money well spent as save the truck of shame 😀

8 hours ago, daveclow said:

That’s cool to know, thanks. I’d like to make the trip out with some fellow members so will keep an eye out for upcoming events. The car has a couple of niggles that I need to iron out before I do. 
Today, during my second drive in it, it leaked coolant out on the road and started getting hot. It’s also done a wee on my garage floor, so I need to look into that. Not the best start, 2 drives and 2 issues. Here’s hoping the problems don’t pile up too quickly for my novice mechanic status 🤦

A few niggles is part of the charm, after all our cars were all built in someones shed! 😂

In the Peaks, there is actually a magnet that's awarded every time something falls off someone's car..... I've won the magnet of shame on more than one occasion and I even carry a little sign in mine 😁

DSC04245.JPG.43c64d490093353a0e89f7c999d1b844.jpeg.7484480b661fac86517d64967b5a256d.jpeg

Take a look on the Tech Talk part of the forum, you'll find loads of help there.

Someone is actually having the same starting issues as you are at the moment

• Haha 1

I tried charging the battery overnight to no avail, but I’d the battery is knackered I don’t suppose charging it would do much anyway?

Love the warning sign 😂

One unexpected bonus of ownership is the sheer amount of kudos you get from people on the street. They go out of their way to congratulate you on the car. 

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

• Like 3