Wet tyre choice

scott beeland

Looking to buy my 13" wets for this season (a WISE idea after Loton and Anglesey!! :p  :0 )

So. Avon cr28 sport 185/60/13 OR Avon CR500 195/55/13.

Both same overall diameter; but any experienced opinion on merits/ faults of either as a wet?

To be investigated tomorrow. I suspect the 28s will be cheaper

Any thoughts on the Bridgestone re 720? Found some of those new that are v cheap in comparison to the Avons!!

Ive only used CR500 but they are      Go off on a dry track, in fact they melt

when was this Mark?

I've heard (from a guy who works at Avon in Melksham) that this was a problem with the very early ones & the compound has been changed (about 9 months ago).  I was at a dry airfield day last summer with some Caterham boys who were running CR500s without problems.

To be investigated tomorrow. I suspect the 28s will be cheaper

Any thoughts on the Bridgestone re 720? Found some of those new that are v cheap in comparison to the Avons!!

Scott

I don't think that the CR28's are that much cheaper than the CR500's althought i think that they have a slightly better grip in the wet, especialy if theres much standing water, I think that the CR500's are more of a 1/2 way house (a nice one, maybe from the posher suburbs :blues: ).

I'm going for CR28's (partially as i got some with a set of wheels i bought) Nick Algar seems to rate them ???.

BMTR

Tel - 0121 331 1122

Fax - 0121 331 1144

Can you ask them how much CR28 205/60?R13's are, I'm after 2 of these & 2 7.0/21.0R13 ACB10's A24 compound (just in case your going for a discount of some description, I know you like getting a discount :blues: ).

Andy :)

when was this Mark?

I've heard (from a guy who works at Avon in Melksham) that this was a problem with the very early ones & the compound has been changed (about 9 months ago).  I was at a dry airfield day last summer with some Caterham boys who were running CR500s without problems.

About 1 year ago.  They were superb in the wet, couldnt fault them.  

They just didnt like hard use in the dry............

Excellent tyre. shame about the cost

Only kidding....    :D  Excellent tyre. shame about the cost

& that looks like it cost about £50.  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

[scally] eh mate, someone's nicked yer bonnet [/scally]

[scally] eh mate, someone's nicked yer bonnet [/scally]

and yer' mudguards...

RE720's are list 1A. They haven't got much grip in the dry........only real men need apply...... :devil:  :devil:

28's are really good in the proper wet,ie standing water etc and not bad in the damp, in the dry you just Knacker them :D  500's are rekoned to be the halfway house, so you could always have 3 sets :D:D:D , but I just rekoned on making sure I could go out whatever the weather:D