Family/boys weekend out?

jaykay42

Hi all 

I'm looking for recommendations where to take my two boys (9 and 15) for a weekend with our camper.

I'm looking for something along the lines of stuff we've done in the past, maybe less focused just on "cars"... Maybe an air show, or something naval? Or purely music?

I've been eyeing up the Armed Forces Day in Scarborough - but it's quite a trek from Devon.

We've been to:

- local hill climb & local car show 

- Cholmondely Pageant of Power 

- Santa Pod (one of their main events, with a bit of everything)

I was planning on taking our camper, probably not the Westfield...

Thank you

Hi!

Well, all sorts. I think we're all wowed by amazing machines, of all kind: driving, flying, floating.

However, we also like music, fireworks, stunt shows.

I realise I'm not exactly narrowing it down here, but that's the point:

Surprise me, recommend something that you'd summarise as "a GREAT experience and a weekend we'll spend"

Cheers

Two of my personal favourites are RIAT at Fairford (normally the years biggest military airshow in the world) and the Goodwood Festival of Speed

• Thanks 1

RIAT sounds great - Never been to Goodwood, neither FoS nor the Revival, just worry that both may be too packed. 

RIAT has the advantage of being reasonably close to us...

Thank you

• Like 1

I know it's on your doorstep, but have you been to the tank museum - on certain Saturdays they drive some out into the arena.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

I know it's on your doorstep, but have you been to the tank museum - on certain Saturdays they drive some out into the arena.

Good shout, Bovingdon is a great day out especially when they have a display on 👍

Duxford is another great place, worth it for me just to get the chance see the SR71 

• Thanks 1

RIAT is booked - all very excited. Thank you for the advice!

Unfortunately, they have already sold out of campsite tickets for campervans for the Saturday... 

Does anyone know a good place nearby?

Don't mind basic - we're usually roughing it in spots that tolerate wild camping, but prefer no hassle for this sort of "boys weekend".

On 11/04/2022 at 22:36, RobH72 said:

Duxford is another great place, worth it for me just to get the chance see the SR71 

Yeah, defo - been there twice and probably still not taken in everything, you can easily spend a whole day there, and sometimes they have weekend  warbirds flying.

• Like 2

In the same vein, RAF Cosford has a great museum, and often has other events either on, directly, or in the immediate vicinity. Have seen both regular and scale, (radio control) air shows on there, too.

Edited to add: and possibly because it has proper runway/safety facilities, plus the amount of restricted land/airspace around it you’d associate with the base. Some of the scale air shows attract the insane, massive, model jets etc that can be too big/fast for some of the regular “from a random field” type events.!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1