Newbie with questions, questions and more questions!

Pd2

4 hours ago, Sean Walsh - Devon & Somerset AO said:

but don’t over think it though! You’ll love the drive home - big grin all the way I expect!

Very much this!

Regarding the second point on your list, like you my first experience of driving a Westfield was a long journey home on the motorway after picking it up.  So hopefully the following will be of some help:

• If you’re dependant on SatNav (like I am) remember that there probably won’t be a charging socket, so you’ll need to take a USB power pack or similar.

• Unless you’ve driven a Seven before, you probably won’t appreciate how much noise there is (wind noise especially) at motorway speeds.  After some time on the motorway this white noise gets a bit hypotonic, so a pair of ear plugs are a good idea, as is a wooly hat that you can pull down over your ears.  I use Alpine Motosafe reusable earplugs.

• I find it much more comfortable to drive with eye protection.  I’ve tried Bolle Tracker Safety glasses,  but prefer my ESS V12 ballistic Goggles.  Sure, they look as geeky as the sound, but they’re great quality and are really comfortable. 🙂

• Your head gets brain freeze, so another mention of the hat!

• Before you get onto the busy roads, try to take it somewhere you can get used the the brakes and try a few emergency stops if you can.  When I did this I was shocked at how poor the brakes seemed (and took this into account as much as possible on the drive home).  Turns out this was because the tyre pressures were too high…

• Check the tyre pressures.  If you’re buying it from Toybox I doubt you’ll have any problems.  However the pressures in my tyres were 27 PSI + when I collected it (and for some time afterwards) and I can’t emphasise enough how detrimental this was to braking efficiency.😳

• Be prepared that when you do stop for petrol, in all probability at least one person will come over to admire it and ask loads of questions about it!  

Hope you enjoy your new car and have a great first drive back home with her!

Use some RainX or similar on the outside and inside of the screen.

Wear decent layers, hat gloves waterproofs and ear plugs or buds. 

Enjoy 😊 

All sound advice above,

I run tyres at 18psi and get around 130 miles (home to Perth ) on a std zk tank of fuel but that’s non enthusiastic driving down the a9 significantly less driving more exuberantly on back roads, treat the gauge as a guide not gospel until you become aufait with any idiosyncrasies .

multiple layers and a warm hat are essential .

I use auto aid and Aplan.

im away up in Speyside but hope to meet up on my travels .

we can always organise another Dunkeld chippy run !! 

52 minutes ago, Gary Taylor said:

we can always organise another Dunkeld chippy run !! 

Is that a hint, Gary?

6 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Is that a hint, Gary?

Of course 😃

let’s get shot of the snow and we will get a few things out together

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spacedoggy said:

Before you get onto the busy roads, try to take it somewhere you can get used the the brakes and try a few emergency stops if you can.  When I did this I was shocked at how poor the brakes seemed (and took this into account as much as possible on the drive home).

Definitely this ^^^ The non-assisted brakes will work well, but you really need to put your foot into it to get maximum braking force compared to your daily driver.  You’ll get used to it but until you do, give yourself more space between you and the car in front of you.

On the fuel tank bit, plan ahead.  As has been mentioned, the fuel gauge (which has the following levels: full, still full, suddenly half full, still half full but twitching needle, suddenly almost empty, and five miles later empty) is mostly for entertainment and is not to be trusted nearly as much as the trip odometer.  You must plan to fill up by 110 miles under normal use.  If you push it much further than that, try not to make hard right turns or fly around roundabouts as you may get fuel starvation as the remaining fuel sloshes to the left side of the tank, and have the engine die under you.  I did just that going into a petrol station and luckily had just enough forward momentum to coast to the pumps, hopping out with a “yeah, I meant to do that” flair…!

On that front, don’t get in a hurry when filling up.  Actually, let me put it another way - you won’t be able to fill up quickly.  It’s just the way it is, I’m afraid.  Go slow to avoid frustration and just live with it, because TADT - They All Do That.

You’ll know when you and the car are one when you develop a method of sliding into the car without the seat rucking your shirt up your back as you do.  There is, however, no elegant way to extricate yourself out of the car.  DO NOT use the windscreen as a support getting in or out, and ensure your passengers don’t either unless you want to spend lots of money replacing it or fixing the damage to the scuttle.

Lastly, after showing off the engine, ensure the bonnet is properly secured, lest you become a member of the Flying Bonnet Club.  The site of an expensive piece of GRP suddenly departing at 70mph and sailing majestically over your head to hit the vehicle behind you or get run over by a lorry is best avoided.

These are all just pieces of learned wisdom, none of which should detract from what you’re about to enjoy.  Wishing you many years and miles of happiness together.

• Like 2

If you were convincing someone they should buy a Westfield/7-esque, who had never driven or even seen one, “Westfields are great, however, watch out for…, don’t…, make sure you…, never…, always… and you’ll freeze your nuts off”, you’d never convince anyone...

...Until they drive one, and the top of their head is blown off in the wind because their grin is so wide!

image.png.6861e2d2717e7a36598867de5a45516b.png

• Like 2

The only thing I would add to the above is make sure you have decent footwear. I found my whole driving experience transformed after I brought some driving shoes. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

The footwell is defo not for hobbit feet!

@Kingster and @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO seem to manage OK? 😄

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Brave talk from a man standing for Chairman... 😂

• Haha 1

Thanks guys! I meant to reply a few days ago. 

I think / hope I know all I need for my first few months of ownership, then probably so more questions! lol

Cheers.

Paul.

Home this afternoon after a two day jaunt home from toybox.

All snug in its new home tonight. I’ll treat it to a wash and clean tomorrow.

E6CA0E70-7954-4593-923D-4D0297FB5103.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic, what an epic first trip!