• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Moderator staff

Rednop1

Think i posted this in totally the wrong section this could be  why i didnt get any reply.

Who selects the moderator staff ? Of course I totally understand its a thankless tasks and there are of course people that do a sterling job in maintaining the smooth running of the forum the webmaster and ACW do an outstanding job these are just too name a couple but there are also a couple that i can see that dont contribute that often and don't login that often either.

So who selects them and what is the selection criteria?  Also is there a point intime that comes when they haven't been active for one reason or another they may have sold their westfield or just lost interest that their moderator's status is removed ?

• Thanks 1

It's not, in fact, it's opened up a good discussion amongst us.

No-one selects moderators.  Moderators are volunteers, just like AOs.  Any member in good standing can ask to be considered becoming a moderator, although obviously we do not need hundreds of them either.  We normally would request for volunteers if we think we could use a few more moderators.  That's not to say we would turn volunteers away, but there may just be no demand for more moderators.

If you have a concern about a moderator, then please feel free to send me or any other of the committee a message with your concerns.  We will listen!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, late to the party, work getting in the way yesterday!

As Quinten said, it’s actually opened up a good discussion “back of house”, which is still going.

All the admins, ie the committee are technically moderators, automatically, though whether they want to actively take part day to day in moderation is purely an individual choice.

Like Quinten said, weave then periodically asked for volunteers to assist with moderation. You will see in their info panel, around their avatars it will typically say “moderator”.

As Quinten commented, any member in good standing can request to me a mod. 

One of the things that was being talked about, back stage, is that from our request for volunteers a few years ago, we have a small number that are now not very active, or have even left, who we need to take off the list, I suspect. Speaking purely off the top of my head, I suspect one or two fresh mods would be handy.

Note, to be a moderator, you don’t necessarily need to be camped on the forum every hour of the day. Most actual decisions* are made by a group of mods, so your input at that point, once a report has been received is also most useful.

*we do have, laid out in the forum rules/guidelines some instances where a response, typically hiding it, needs to be made immediately that the first admin/mod comes across it, prior to any discussion taking place.

There are also instances of spamming the forum so blatant, that again unilateral action may be taken by the first admin/mod that finds it. (Block and ban the spammer, remove the spam).

Obviously, we’ll keep everyone updated with the conversation amongst the current team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the information much appreciated guys 👍👍👍👌

Its kind of you to mention me, but my input is limited to hosting the infrastructure the website / forum sits on and jumping in when something needs sorting or someone asks about something from the last 20 years :) - However I do still have not one but three Westfields and know my way around a few things. 

My view has always been that the main heavy lifting of moderation of any successful forum is done by the members reporting things that are egregious as well as supporting people who might be given a harsh time by a clique (which is an inevitable negative side effect of any closely functioning group). It should also be as lighter touch as possible and let the democracy of people decide what is acceptable and not rather than any individual.

That said, for the protection of the clubs reputation and financial matters as well of those of associated companies it is always better to be cautious and remove any legally problematic first and re-instate later reducing any potential damages that could be awarded.

6 hours ago, Rednop1 said:

Think i posted this in totally the wrong section this could be  why i didnt get any reply.

Who selects the moderator staff ? Of course I totally understand its a thankless tasks and there are of course people that do a sterling job in maintaining the smooth running of the forum the webmaster and ACW do an outstanding job these are just too name a couple but…

Moderated.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Moderated.

You have lost me ?

1 minute ago, Rednop1 said:

You have lost me ?

15F4444F-A36D-4052-A6B3-DCA96AA58E44.gif

• Haha 1

You must have totally different sense of humour too me .

Thank you too webmaster ,Acw and Mr Eastwood for the constructive and informative comments thank you gents .

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rednop1 said:

So who selects them and what is the selection criteria? 

For me it was a discussion a few years ago at Stoneleigh with the then WSCC Chairman wanting a few more folks on board with various roles, I volunteered to help the club more (as its a great club :cool:) in any way without wanting to be an AO or Committee member as thought that was out of my depth. 

Being a Moderator is an interesting role and as advised by others on this thread maybe a couple more now could be useful, sometimes your mod role is not required for months then we get bombarded 😬

WSCC has a comprehensive guide for mods (a bit like WSCC constitution) to follow which I have found very useful in the role :yes: also as a mod you sometimes need a kill switch to turn off your personal opinion when moderating 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1