MOT Certificate

David Oxfordshire

Hello, Just curious if anyone else has had this? Tried to Tax the Westy today but the DVLA Website came up with "MOT test certificate could not be found" and application was cancelled. Any shortcuts to getting this sorted as the number is permanently engaged. ☹️

try randomly pressing no.s in their hold, alot of the time they have a secret number they dont tell you to take you an advisor. I did it once when buying my car, think it was 8 or 9.

Its just permanently engaged so cant even get that far. Car was registered after IVA last year but doesnt need an MOT for another two years right?

It should be 3 years from Iva. But there have been cases where it’s not been setup properly when the car was registered.

what does it say if you put your reg into the dvla online mot checker?

29 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If it's a Q reg I think it needs MoT after 12 months 

That’s not correct. 

But they will not recognise it online. For the first three years I had to tax mine at the local post office, where they had to fill in a paper form 🙄

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, David Oxfordshire said:

doesnt need an MOT for another two years right?

Correct

53 minutes ago, David Oxfordshire said:

Any shortcuts to getting this sorted

You will have to do it at a post office I’m afraid

• Like 1

Well, for a different take…I did a pre-IVA MOT on mine, and noticed recently that the DVLA website shows the MOT expired 1 year after that pre-test.

I've said before, I have no issue with an annual inspection on a car I built in my shed….particularly when one remembers that IVA and MOT don’t necessarily check the same things, neither am I inclined to fight the system over it.

As @Kingster says you need to go to a post office that does VED with your V5.

Or the other option if you want to is MOT the car,you can then use the on line system. 

2 hours ago, corsechris said:

did a pre-IVA MOT

I think that once you MOT it, then you must do so every year thereafter because you are in the system. 

8 hours ago, Kingster said:

I think that once you MOT it, then you must do so every year thereafter because you are in the system. 

Indeed. I was somewhat surprised they managed to connect the MOT done on the VIN with the car, now it’s registered ;) 

Thanks for the input everyone. Managed to get hold of the magnificently helpful Ms Dymond at the DVLA and she explained there is a short coming in the "system" linking IVA passes to MOT certificates not being correctly tagged.

Anyway I've sent her a cheque and she is going to tax the car...seems like in 3 years time when it has to have its MOT it will clear the DVLA pipes out!

9 hours ago, Kingster said:

Correct 😀