Oulton Park Saturday January 29th

TAFKARM

@Pco oh dear, sounds like there is a story?

• 3 weeks later...

Weather is still looking OK.. fingers crossed

Another ace day with the track day gang!

membership is free this year too! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe somebody could do a short report for the magazine so other people may be attracted and then move onto the Speed Series. Its a route many of us have taken

• Sad 1

Great day at the track, car is still in one piece and the lad has had a great day.

However we noticed a crack in the rear shell near the rollbar where some debris has been Kicked up an punctured the body from the inside out. Never see that before…

• Sad 1

I had a very interesting time 🤣🤣

Full story to follow but here’s a taster

C8EBD056-60DD-422E-9251-00E4D60666D5.jpeg

• Sad 2

Really rely for you Chris. What a set of circumstances. You did well to keep smiling.

Does anyone know who owner or was that Orange mid engined thing that was flying around? 

13 hours ago, Kingster said:

I had a very interesting time 🤣🤣

Full story to follow but here’s a taster

C8EBD056-60DD-422E-9251-00E4D60666D5.jpeg

Been there done that ( twice on the M6)  - Hope the drum and the trailer were ok.

On 30/01/2022 at 11:11, Richard (OldStager) said:

Been there done that ( twice on the M6)  - Hope the drum and the trailer were ok.

Yes the drum was perfectly ok - saved by the spare! - but it was on a very, very busy M1 hard shoulder! I must admit to being pretty scared…

Yes, I wasn't exactly chuffed either, I ended up calling the cops the second time as I just wasn't happy changing a wheel on the hard shoulder, mine was on the other side. all they did was park further up the shoulder to protect me.

So - had a blow out at 60mph on M1. 

Single axle trailer didn’t misbehave at all, so that’s a myth busted. Only heard excess noise and spotted the blue smoke in the nearside mirror.

D68142CF-EB4C-49AC-92DF-7794F2C5AFE4.jpeg

I decided to try and fit the spare as it was on the nearside, so quickly got out the breaker bar and jack and cracked the 5 studs. 

Then the “oh crap” moment…

175A8958-9FC2-47D4-A427-0A0AA6373B97.jpeg

Realised the key was in the jacket pocket of the jacket I had on when loading - that was still at home. 

At this point I’m starting to get twitchy about the volume of very fast traffic just a few feet away and try to break the lock - but no luck084EAD7E-E67F-4C29-B5F0-052B25E4FD48.jpeg

So I am now getting very nervous and figure it’s best to slowly drive up the hard shoulder to the next junction ½ a mile away. 

Not long until I hear big clunk and realise what a complete and utter turnip I’d been because instead of taking a chuffin photo I should have tightened the wheel studs back up. Lucky to only be doing 10mph though and no damage done as the spare saved the hub from taking the weight!

Funny how your brain copes with panic and fear - mine must be a very odd brain feeling the need to record proceedings while being scared to death!

So now I’m properly in panic mode and find a bigger thing to lever the padlock off - meaning I could fit the spare. BUT could only find 2 out of 5 studs nearby and no way was I going to remove one from the other side as that was just far too life threatening. 

But this was enough to allow me to gingerly proceed to the next junction where I could at least feel safe. 

Coincidently, a mate who recently joined the club @Apc1x called me to say he’d just passed me going the other way! He kindly offered to try and find some spare studs via local outlets but alas no luck. 

It was now up to @Andy - a15cro to rescue me as he recalled having two spares with his trailer and he was not too far behind  me. Sure enough he did and so I could continue on to the track day where more of my utter muppetry would unfold 🤣

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and so on reflection I really should have slowly driven on the hard shoulder to safety before attempting to fit the spare on a such a busy stretch - or maybe called the police.

It’s far too easy to make mistakes under such stressful circumstances so I’m hoping that others can at least learn from my own stupidity!

• Like 2

Oh wow, although I can now admit,  on my first motorway blow out the spare rim I had didn't fit... Wrong PCD... I mean who checks to see if a old rim acually fits the hub . Lesson well and truely learnt..

Glad it all worked out though, it's an awful feeling when things go wrong on a motorway.

The spare actually saved the hub - i certainly had a good dollop of luck to counteract the muppetry 😁