Windows 11 Upgrade

Blatman

Afternoon all. I'm sure we've all seen the Windows 11 stuff out there and the "issue" of many many slightly older devices not being compatibleand it seems like Microsoft have screwed us all in to having to buy new PC's.

Well, I've just completed a Windows 11 upgrade to a 10 yesr old Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop by following the advice here:

It took a total of 7 hours(!) BUT it went very smoothly indeed with zero glitches of the type that often have us IT guys rolling our eyes when we do this sort of thing 
And having followed the advice in the video, for my install at least, I did NOT have to log in to a Microsoft account which is great 'cos I don't have one and don't want one.
For what it's worth the laptop I have used as a test bed has about 50% of free space on a 480Gb mechanical hard-drive and 16Gb of RAM. I used a SanDisck USB3 stick for the media creation tool on a USB3 port on the PC.

I'm posting this from the newly upgraded laptop to see how it behaves and it's pretty good. During the install I chose the option to preserve all my apps and data and so far, it all seems to be present and correct, although I did do a back-up before I started the upgrade, naturally. The 7 hours install time does NOT include taking a back-up first so make sure you have plenty of coffee/tea/beer to hand.

I'm usually not one to recommend early adoption of new technologies as I tend to abide by the "buy first, buy worst" aphorism, BUT I know there may be some of you who are keen to try Windows 11 so I thought I'd share my experience so far. I will update this thread as I use it more and report any issues.

• Like 2

Pleased to read you can do it without an account as I don't want one either. Does it force Edge, Cortana, One Drive, 3D Objects and myriad other 'Apps' on you? I don't want any of those either and I've spent a bit of time de-fleaing my Win 10 - so I'm pretty hesitant about 11

It tries to in so far as they are embedded, but they are easy to delete or "switch off" so they don't nag. Don't forget to pay attention to the Start-Up menu in Task Manager too ;) 

Also installed are Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime and a bunch of other crap that can be uninstalled with a simple right-click > Uninstall. I'm just ploughing through those at the moment.

I didn't think much of Edge when it first came out but having used it a bit it's not so bad. Under the hood it's the same as Google Chrome but with a Microsoft front end. A trot through the settings has it behaving 95% as I want it to, which is enough for me to get along. My default browser is Chrome FWIW.

• Like 1

I upgraded by fitting an ssd drive d/l Linux manjaro and run win on that . All the benefits of windoze without all there background stuff and lightning fast !

Just so we are clear, you are running a full Windows 11 install on Manjaro or you're using Wine (or similar) to run windows features?

If you are running a full Windows 11 install, which Hypervisor are you using?

• Confused 1

It's worked for me too, thanks. My less than 2 year old (self build) PC wasn't compatible due to lack of TPM chip. Slightly scary when I wasn't connected to the net due to driver issues with my network adapter (LAN), built into my ASUS MB. Strange how the win 11 compatibility checker didn't identify it!

Managed to download a driver package from Intel (though only badged as Win 10) on my work laptop, that's got me online again!

• Like 1

i don't think any of my machines are compatable, however incase they are what are the benefits over win10... i'm not usually one for upgrades for upgrades sake,i would only do it if there was a significant improvement or a less unstable machine as i am finding with win 10.

My laptop meets the 11 spec in every way, but Windows have decided only to support 8th gen Intel chips onwards. My earlier gen CPU is well over the required spec, but I still can't get official 11. So they can go hang...... 

47 minutes ago, OldStager said:

i don't think any of my machines are compatable, however incase they are what are the benefits over win10... i'm not usually one for upgrades for upgrades sake,i would only do it if there was a significant improvement or a less unstable machine as i am finding with win 10.

The danger is eventually they stop providing updates etc. They cheekily installed 92MB of MS Teams that wasn't in my Win 10 build! It's just come off.  

See- https://time.com/6107013/microsoft-windows-11-features/ for differences etc.

• Thanks 1

thanks ian, just read that and it seems , at least in appearance, that it's following a linux model with central task bars and the like.

i checked this pc and it's a no go and being the newest of the hardware i have here it's safe to say none of the others are either.

i am not adverse to using outdated operating systems that are no longer supported, since two of the machines will never be conncted to the internet, so no increased risk as i see it there.

it's as if ms want you to junk your old machine and buy a new one, i wonder how many will do that...

5 minutes ago, OldStager said:

thanks ian, just read that and it seems , at least in appearance, that it's following a linux model with central task bars and the like.

i checked this pc and it's a no go and being the newest of the hardware i have here it's safe to say none of the others are either.

What did it advise wasn't compatible? There was two issues for me and the YouTube guide got me passed them okay.

i am not adverse to using outdated operating systems that are no longer supported, since two of the machines will never be conncted to the internet, so no increased risk as i see it there.

Fair enough.

it's as if ms want you to junk your old machine and buy a new one, i wonder how many will do that...

It's the consumers fault. We all want faster/better gadgets and we buy them, hence they keep making more! 

MS supporting Intel/AMD so they sell more chips. Just what we need during a silicon shortage...

Win 10 support stops in 2025 if memory serves so plenty of time yet.

Benefits... well on the 10 year old laptop I used, Win 11 seems a little more responsive but that is entirely subjective on my part. 

And Teams replaces Skype, which will cease to exist in a little while.

• Like 1

not that i have tried to install it, thats if it's available at all to me, but the cpu in this pc is 2013 and the rest of the hardware is arounjd the same age, from what i read before it's too old to qualify for win11.

i have never understood why folks throw away perfectly good machines be that pc's, laptops or mobile phones just to get the latest device, surely if it works and does what you want it to do, why would you bin it....

2 minutes ago, OldStager said:

but the cpu in this pc is 2013 and the rest of the hardware is arounjd the same age, from what i read before it's too old to qualify for win11.

The laptop I installed it on is 2 years older than yours! That was the point. There is a way to avoid pretty much ALL of the compatibility barriers and install it. And it's FREE for the moment. That may change. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OldStager said:

not that i have tried to install it, thats if it's available at all to me, but the cpu in this pc is 2013 and the rest of the hardware is arounjd the same age, from what i read before it's too old to qualify for win11.

Just run the checker here

4 minutes ago, OldStager said:

i have never understood why folks throw away perfectly good machines be that pc's, laptops or mobile phones just to get the latest device, surely if it works and does what you want it to do, why would you bin it....

Yep.