I just wanted to share this with you all just to explain my recent absence...

Hawkemotorsport

Wow, what a month! Congratulations on the new arrival. Sounds like you're getting to grips with the first daughter and getting into a routine. Good to hear you're trying to keep life as normal as can be, for her, too.

congratulations all coming good in the end

my dad had a similar escalating diabetes experience, when he had the flu, they just couldn't get it under control, then as quick as it occurred it was all over and back to normal! i hope your outcome is as simple? but so far its looking good for you all

My you’ve really been through it, (some what of an understatement). I really hope that’s the end of it and life can return to normal. Well as normal as bringing a second baby home can be. I’m sure you’ll very soon get to grips with the diabetes as will she. My wife worked in primary school  for many year and looked after quite a few diabetics, most of them learned how to deal with it themselves through their Primary school years

As others have said, you and your wife have been on the emotional roller coaster. Congratulations on the birth but also well done for being so in tune with your child to see something was not right and getting her help.

Having diabetes is not as bad as it once was, although hard on your daughter, but there are excellent support groups out there and she will be looked after now medically.

All the best to you all

Congratulations and what a roller coaster journey. 
Good to hear everything is getting better. 

We have a saying here that amounts to a bit of an in-joke, and that is "...we'll do that when the heat's off!" 

I must say the heat has been on you like a blast furnace! Type 1 diabetes is commonly hereditary I believe, although your experience says it's occasionally 'out of the blue' as it were. I have a cousin by marriage who's a type 1 and she has had to manage her condition all her life - successfully I might add. If it's managed well it becomes a manageable nuisance almost, and as someone else said, it is less of a burden as medicine progresses.

I wish you all the best of luck and send congratulations on the new addition to your family - she looks perfect! My son and his wife have a daughter of eleven months and both he and his wife are doctors but it doesn't save them from the angst of this baby being theirs! 

Wow, that is a traumatic but ultimately joyful experience. As a Type 2 Diabetic I am not affected in the same way as your daughter but it does take a mindset change; once done you can get on with living your life. It sounds like you are juggling things well and providing the best medicine - time, support and love!

It goes without saying that if it is getting too much and you need to vent at some one about anything; throw it up here and we will all listen!

Best wishes