2021 Speed Series Awards Dinner

Terry Everall

The SSOT/Committee  have an issue on deciding on whether to go ahead with the dinner booked for 27th Nov 2021. In view of the ongoing Covid situation we would like an indication, from speed series drivers, of whether this is viable or should we defer the event. Clearly nobody has a crystal ball but we need to keep people safe as well as react to any changes in COVID transmission rates. So please keep the date in your diary but be ready for us to cancel it and rearrange at a later date maybe in the New Year. I would like to think that we dont have to cancel it altogether.

• Like 1

Any comments ?

I guess it would be useful to ask the members if they and their partners would be prepared to attend considering the current Covid conditions and any other factors that may affect their decisions!

This approach may give you guy's more meaningful information upon which to consider your decision!

Glutey

On 25/08/2021 at 22:33, graham frankland said:

I guess it would be useful to ask the members if they and their partners would be prepared to attend considering the current Covid conditions and any other factors that may affect their decisions!

This approach may give you guy's more meaningful information upon which to consider your decision!

Glutey

I think this is what Terry is trying to do here Graham...... Its a real dilemma. 

If it had to be cancelled it would be a real shame and a bit of an anti climax for the 2021 Champion.

And in any case, I have been the custodian of the turf trophy bog seat for two years now so I thinks it about time it takes up residency in someone else house. 

So come on folks can we give Terry some idea if you will be attending the awards do this year, on the assumption Covid "restrictions" stay as they are now. 

Any suggestions re venue, timing of the awards do or anything else are welcome.

Some of us will remember when the awards do was held in the February /March of the following year so it felt like the start of the season rather than the conclusion of the year. Again thoughts on this welcome.

In fact anything that will help Terry make the arrangements with the venue, but numbers attending will be the biggest help.

Mark

Assuming we are allowed to hold it with rules at the time I wouldn’t be put off by covid. 

I would say better end of this year if possible rather than start of next. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mark.anson said:

I have been the custodian of the turf trophy bog seat for two years now so I thinks it about time it takes up residency in someone else house. 

Don’t worry Mark. A few candidates from Shelsley this year 🙈

Covid cases continue to climb in Shropshire. Our 37 year old double jabbed son has just had the disease, the tests didn't pick it up until he was obviously ill. So Mrs H and I are avoiding enclosed gatherings such as pubs and restaurants at present.

No one can have any idea what the situation would be in November but based on the current situation I wouldn't go to the dinner.

2 hours ago, Richard Houlgate said:

Covid cases continue to climb in Shropshire. Our 37 year old double jabbed son has just had the disease, the tests didn't pick it up until he was obviously ill. So Mrs H and I are avoiding enclosed gatherings such as pubs and restaurants at present.

No one can have any idea what the situation would be in November but based on the current situation I wouldn't go to the dinner.

I Agree 

last week i would have said lets crack on,

But i had to withdraw from Loton on Sunday due to returning from a holiday on Friday and the kids contracting covid 19 while we have been away. I am currently waiting on a second PCR as i was not feeling well yesterday evening even after getting a negative test from Saturday.

i felt it was wrong even though i am double jabbed to follow the current guidelines of not having to isolate and potentially dragging the virus across to Loton.

So i think i would say proceed with caution, but it seems that there is now a resurgence and could well get higher cases once the kids go back to school. 

I think it would be a shame if it was cancelled, or indeed postponed until next year - that just seems wrong.  

As long as everyone's sensible, and I'm sure we will be, Emma and I would be happy to attend this year.

44 minutes ago, Howard said:

I think it would be a shame if it was cancelled, or indeed postponed until next year - that just seems wrong.

Agree

Those who have put in the effort to compete should have opportunity to celebrate the year.

We are being very cautious due to supporting vulnerable older relations, so will not attend this year.

@Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary, are we asking the wider club too, not just SS members/competitors?

Hopefully by doing so, you'll be adding to your pot of potential responses to drive the decision plus continuing with the inclusive "whole club" theme and may get the break even numbers you need.

Is it going to be at the same place, I thought we'd tentatively booked something with Lea Marston in 2019...?

We have a deposit with Lea Marston and a booking for 27th Nov. We would be pleased to see any club members who wish to attend. Have not agreed a discount yet regarding B&B rates  etc

• Thanks 1