New member - buying advice

cw74

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy my first Westfield anytime now, I've done all the usual research and I'm looking at a very specific choice now - buy a new kit, or buy a used car, and I was hoping people might share their thoughts.

I could buy new, and the car would be built the way I want, although it would be more expensive and I'd have the IVA to deal with.

Or I could buy used, get a better spec for less money but have an older car with potentially a few issues.

There's no right answer I'm looking for, just opinions on what people would do now, if they were starting over.

Thanks!

Chris

Welcome, I think it's a question you need to answer yourself really, I could say buy and then someone else says build, although having indeed bought mine, now I know what it cost to get it the way I want it, it may have been less expensive building one to start with.

I don't envy your decision.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

all depends on your budget Chris

I wouldn't worry about the IVA on a new kit, providing any personalisation takes the regulations into account it's fairly straight forward.  I've now put a complete kit Special Edition and Eleven, with refurbished 40 year old donor parts, through at Bristol and Exeter and both got through 1st time with testers that went out of their way to pass them.  As you've said new build is perhaps the most expensive way to buy a Westfield but it's very rewarding.

If you decide to buy built, configuration and condition are probably much more important that age and mileage, IMHO having some mileage on a car can be a benefit because owners will have usually done a few tweaks to improve on the standard configuration.

I know you've already done some research but I'd suggest you get down to a local meeting to see/blag a ride in as many cars as you can and speak to owners, most areas have a fair spread of the main variants and upgrades.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to follow.

I would say if you’re very un-decided, buy a finished car.

To build a kit, you really need to reallyreally want to build one, as it’s not a quick route to ownership, not a cheap one, and while it is fantastically rewarding, it can also be frustrating and have you wondering why you ever started, at times. 

On the other hand, if it’s just a confidence thing. Then funnily enough, you don’t necessarily need masses of tools or knowledge, those can all be worked round. But you must have that drive to do it, and complete it.

• Like 1

Whichever way you decide to go you really need to know 100%(ish) what you want. The car I built isn’t the one that I bought in kit form it changed along the way. No massive drama but would have been easier if I had a clearer vision when ordering.

Cant recommend enough getting along to a local meet and or stoneleigh. You need to see as many cars as you can as they are all different.

I knew i wanted to build one from the start. It was the journey and learning experience that I wanted most and I don't regret it. I would definitely go through the build process again if i get the chance. It really does depend on what you want to get out of it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DavidMiller said:

I knew i wanted to build one from the start. It was the journey and learning experience that I wanted most and I don't regret it. I would definitely go through the build process again if i get the chance. It really does depend on what you want to get out of it.

Absolutely, and we have many members, who truth be told, aren’t really that bothered about driving the cars! For them the main part of the fun, is the building and developing of the cars. And that’s a great reason for owning one, too!

I'm in the "bought not built" brigade and don't regret buying a (well I'm on my second now!) built car.

When I have the time and space I would love to build one to my specification.

Buying a built car doesn't stop you building in the future, they hold their value well (so limited risk financially) and you will definitely know your way around one within a year or two.... for example, I've just had the engine out of mine which involved a full strip down of the entire engine bay and most of the interior 👍

• Like 1

I must admit, I like the idea of building, but it would be quite a basic spec in terms of budget, buying used is also fine, but as you all know, these aren't common cars and there isn't a huge choice about.

I think I'll try to take a look at a few cars and see what kind of build quality they have, If I see a nice one available I would definately buy, If not I would happily go down the build route.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep you posted with developments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No clue where you are or where your nearest meet is, but do try and attend at least one, to firstly made sure it's the model you want and then which engine, I didn't do this and perhaps if I had I wouldn't have got a narrow car, as it happens I make a matchstick look large, but passengers do suffer a bit.

Good luck with the search.