Pinto Vs Zetec

Ragtop

Hi Guys - I am being reeeealy indecisive at the moment. I have fitted the diff (3.92),  :t-up: fitted new seals and gaskets to the type 9 box  :t-up: and just started to strip the 2.0 inj pinto when indecision struck.  :0 Do I spend money on the pinto re-bore, new cam,dissy etc etc OR do I by a decent s/hand 2.0 Zetec. Any ideas regarding fitting the zetec to a type 9 and modifying the OHC loom which I have now fitted :bangshead:

Assuming you are handy with a multimeter, and a set of spanners, modifying the loom will be easy.

Type 9 bolts straight to a Zetec, so get the Zetec, or better yet, a Duratec.......

i reckon you should get a duratec.  :)

I heard this crazy guy in a shady pub up north saying you can get 280bhp from them. I think he was talking b*****k though.

Is Mr Mountune Bald?

280bhp Mountune I4 Ford Duratec HE engine Ref: DI4280

At 280bhp this is a true "touring car" spec. engine at a fraction of the cost of a full 'works' unit. This fully built engine package is supplied on a brand new base unit. The price shown includes parts, engine management, labour, dyno test and the base engine. Full detailed specifications are available from mountune Sales.

Price:  £12,600.00 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%, delivery and shipping)

Please contact us by phone, fax or e-mail to order this product.

Seen the light?

Er..... I've never criticised the Duratec. It may well be the thing to replace the Cossie in my sprint car, but I'm waiting 'til developement is more advanced than it is right now, and for the parts to be produced in larger numbers for less money.......

Pinto vs Zetec? Dunno... I'd ring my local mini cab firm and get their views, they'd have a lot of experience of both.

280bhp?£16 grand on an engine? With a life of how many hours? I know you Northerners have more disposable income than us down here but...

I'd have thought that the best reason for going for Duratec is that it's a lot lighter than a Zetec or Pinto. Still heavier than a 4Age though :devil:

It may well be the thing to replace the Cossie in my sprint car, but I'm waiting 'til developement is more advanced than it is right now, and for the parts to be produced in larger numbers for less money.......

Which bits are too much money for you Blatters

Induction and exhaust will be the same for any engine

Its only

Bell housing

cams

pistons and rods

That are possiably more money the dry sump from pace is about the same price as all the others. All the little ansillaries are the same.

Pinto vs Zetec? Dunno... I'd ring my local mini cab firm and get their views, they'd have a lot of experience of both.

280bhp?£16 grand on an engine? With a life of how many hours? I know you Northerners have more disposable income than us down here but...

I'd have thought that the best reason for going for Duratec is that it's a lot lighter than a Zetec or Pinto. Still heavier than a 4Age though :devil:

Think you may find that the Ford motor is not much heavier than the Toyota. It’s also about 50bhp more powerful when a good exhaust and throttle bodies are fitted than a similar specked Toyota. Sorry I think I would fit the Duratec and leave Toyota on that score. Good little engine though.   ;)

Its only

Bell housing

cams

pistons and rod

And there's the rub. Pistons and rods aren't cheap to start with. With the rarity factor of a brand new developement, they'll be costing more now than when the 2 or 3 parts manufacturers have to start competing for custom. The number of tuned Duratec that are producing 230+bhp are few, and mostly un tried. I'll wait until they have a bit more running under their belts. If they prove reliable, that'll be one more tick on the list of things to tick. I'm certain that I don't want to contribute to the developement process and pay for the privelige........

My Cossie and Vx have both had long developments. Any parts I buy are proven, well manufactured, and I have a choice if supplier. There are very few "unknowns". This makes them a bit cheaper, and *much* less risky (for me) that the Duratec at the moment........

Had a look in the Burtons catalouge this morrning and the price for YB NA pistons and rods are the same price as was the cost of cams for the Duratec, so it is down to you not wanting to be part of the first few.

The Duratec has been used as a performance engine at over 280bhp in the states for some time now so much R & D has been undertaken already, but obviously this will continue over here.

My Duratec has a mild tune and produces 230bhp, although I'm still running it in, I cannot resist occasionally  :D

The car's performance is staggering compared to my previous Pinto 165bhp powered Tiger Super Six. I've fitted a Wet Sump kit to the Duratec, but long term it needs dry sumping which developement is currently be undertaken. The only concern I've currently got is cooling, but I've got to wait till a hot day on track for that. I would agree all Duratec parts are currently more expensive than Vx and Zetec's, but I couldn't wait. Hopefully in years to come you'll look at me and say he's the b*** that paid for all the Duratec R & D. :p  :p

Pintos are nasty, horrid, crude, rough heavy things  :arse:

Zetecs are a lot better although i dont think they are a lot lighter (not sure about this one)

Duratecs are miles better, but as a few have pointed out, are expensive. Speak to Ammo at http://www.raceco.com/ - he is doing a lot of work on the Duratec but he reckons its about £10K to fit one at the moment because of all the special bits you need