Rain-X or similar?

CraigHew

Yesterday i got caught out in some heavy rain (the Welsh type) some 45 miles from home.

To be fair the wipers worked better than i remembered, but visibility was still poor. After a few miles i realised that it was the inside surface of the screen causing a lot of the problem and a handy cloth helped.

So, im thinking of trying rain-X or an equivalent product although i have read reports here that it doesn't work to well due to the (lack of) screen rake.

That accepted, do people apply it to both inside and outside of the screen?

Does it need to be applied each time the screen is washed (usually after each trip out) ?

Or should i spend my £6 on a better cloth?

3 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Yesterday i got caught out in some heavy rain (the Welsh type) some 45 miles from home.

Result👌😎👍🤭

• Haha 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Snake oil IME

i have to disagree, been using rain x for probably 25 years or so, works very well just beading the drops of water , but you do have to be driving at something like 30mph for the effect to work. i re-apply when it stops the beading bit, usually twice a year, but then i dont go out in the rain that often.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

i have read reports here that it doesn't work to well due to the (lack of) screen rake

I tried it on my visor of helmet after motorbike owning m8s recommended it,was very disappointed due to my aero screen you don't get enough air passing over the visor to push the water off🤷🏾‍♂️

So I can see your point about the rake of the screen👍

• Like 1

and i may have more rake than standard as i have a cat 7 screen and mounts

Just now, OldStager said:

and i may have more rake than standard as i have a cat 7 screen and mounts

Guess you must have. I applied it once and the bottle hasn't been opened again in several years

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are far better products out there than rainx. The g technique stuff is superb. Just follow the instructions exactly. 

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/gtechniq-g1-clearvision-smart-glass

I'm currently using angel wax h2go as I got some as a free sample, it is pretty good, probably on a par with the g technique but only lasts 2 or 3 months. 

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/angelwax/h2go-rain-repellent.aspx

They are definitly not snake oil. I can drive at over 30mph in the rain and can make do without wipers. 

• Like 3

thanks steve, i havent used any other products, they may work below 30mph if i am lucky.

Out of the 2 I listed I would reccomend the g technique stuff over the other. Yes it's more pricey but when applied correctly its brilliant. 

Although a rag upgrade may still be required for the inside 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also a change to the flat blade Landy style wipers  instead of the std westy cantilever ones makes a massive difference aswell, and I do plenty wet miles lol 

• Like 1

Once at a Friday night car cruise/meet in Florida I spoke to a couple of the hot rod owners and commented on the lack of windscreen wipers, for one they don’t have an mot there and they also said they use RainX and the water just beads off when moving. 

It works well for me on the Westfield and camper van with equally vertical aero challenged windscreens… where as on the Tin top the air just blows over and forgets to take the water with it . 

12 hours ago, Andy - a15cro said:

Once at a Friday night car cruise/meet in Florida I spoke to a couple of the hot rod owners and commented on the lack of windscreen wipers, for one they don’t have an mot there and they also said they use RainX and the water just beads off when moving. 

I’ve experienced some of the more interesting rain in Florida. Wipers are pretty much useless anyway :)

3 minutes ago, corsechris said:

I’ve experienced some of the more interesting rain in Florida. Wipers are pretty much useless anyway :)

Lol yes, we've had zero visibility before, and have you noticed the locals decide to drive with their hazards on, as if thats going to help in any way ;)

• Haha 2