Not a mid-life crisis in Kent.

tr1stan

Hello everyone!

After spending most of lockdown drooling over a number of 7 style cars, joining a bunch of Facebook groups and test-driving a couple of MKs, I finally bit the bullet, sold my Motorbike and a mint MX5, that I had used for the odd track day,  and purchased a SEIW from another member of this forum a couple of months ago. With it being nearly 300 miles away, I did something that I have never done before and bought the car without even seeing it, mad really but after some really good conversations with the previous owner the deposit was paid and transport via Shiply was sorted. The car is in need of some love, but I really enjoy working on them when I get a chance and see this as a long term relationship where I can spend winters tidying her up and summers getting the buzz you can only get from a 7. 

The car is running a C20LET with just under 290bhp, which is probably crazy for a first 7 but if you're going to have a mid-life crisis, do it properly is what I say! 😄 I've bought the ECU interface cable, which has already helped me identify a faulty TPS (which I manage to fix) and I'm in the process of stopping the fuel tank from wanting to wiggle its way out of the boot, but with two tiny kids in the house, I appreciate any excuse to lock myself away in the garage when I can! I do have some stationary coolant/heating issues which I'm hoping isn't anything more sinister than a radiator/thermostat/piping issue, but more on that later I'm sure.  

I've done about 100 miles so far, but with the weather now getting much better I'm looking forward to some longer runs and really getting some heat into the tyres! 

I've included a picture of my wife in the car, smiling away before I took her out for the first time 😆 

I'm based in Hythe in Kent, I'd be interested in hearing from and meeting members local to me as lockdown starts easing 👋  

IMG_9636.jpg

IMG_9608.jpg

IMG_9801.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

• Like 6

Welcome! Lovely looking car and with that set up I bet it gets a wriggle on!👍

• Thanks 1

Love the colour scheme, enjoy! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RobH72 said:

Welcome! Lovely looking car and with that set up I bet it gets a wriggle on!👍

It certainly does, fastest thing I’ve driven on the road and I’ve not had a chance to give it full anything yet 👍🏻

• Like 1

Fantastic!

• Like 1

Looks great.  You may want to check the nearside wing is properly attached, looks to be a bolt missing.  Given the speeds you can hit it may try to undress itself......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the stoat said:

Looks great.  You may want to check the nearside wing is properly attached, looks to be a bolt missing.  Given the speeds you can hit it may try to undress itself......

Good eyes 👀  - It's on the list, the other is super tight. I'm having trouble identifying the countersunk washer, so I think I'm going to have to replace them all, probably in black, along with the screws 👍

I have to confess I was zooming in to the photos to look at the turbo installation as I run a C20XE and if that ever goes bang I fancy giving a turbo a try while trying to keep a high reving engine.  Mine is too noisy at the moment for use at some tracks and turbos are magnificent silencers.

Also look for motor cycle fairing washers 😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, the stoat said:

I have to confess I was zooming in to the photos to look at the turbo installation as I run a C20XE and if that ever goes bang I fancy giving a turbo a try while trying to keep a high reving engine.  Mine is too noisy at the moment for use at some tracks and turbos are magnificent silencers.

Also look for motor cycle fairing washers 😀

This is the first petrol turbo I've had, it sounds great but I do need to measure the exhaust dBs as I'm hoping to take it to Brands at some point and they're pretty strict. 

Thanks for the tip on the motor cycle fender washers, that's a good call.   

Before White Van Man wrote it off, I had a Astra H VXR with the LEH engine, all tuned up to 300bhp by Courtenay Sport with LSD, DAP Springs, D-Sport brakes, RARB, Toyo 888Rs etc. It was pretty quick, but on track evenings suffered from issues with the little plastic turbo pipes coming off and then the Turbo Actuator rod broke.

That engine must be a real animal in a Westie!

• Like 1

Nice to have another Turbo in the Kent area, It would be great to get together as we now have a few new Kent members at the moment.

Welcome 

• Like 1