Caterham, not so perfect

Paul Aspden (MoFast)

So today I good friend brought me a brand new 620S with a dodgy speedo. 

So I thought simple probably the sensor on the back wheel needs moving closer to the toothed gear on the cv joint.

However after I pulled the wheel off I quickly noticed that the hole in the bracket for the sensor was nearly 8mm of the centre line of the toothed ring. 

Now I know these are hand built cars but when you’re paying factory built 620s numbers you would expect the speedo to work and the sensor to be point at the toothed gear.

I could have fixed it there and then by making the sensor hole into a slot but the car has 120 miles on the clock and is brand new. 

obviously the owner is a bit p******** off

Just wow! Given your recent Ponderosa's experience with Cateringvans, I'm surprised you didn't tell him that's what £30K above the price of a similar spec Westie get's you💪

Money isn’t really the point here I mean it’s an m6 clearance hole literally 8mm in the wrong place. I just can’t see how it passed the IVA and left the factory like that.

I am not into the Caterham bashing just for the hell of it but really I just can’t understand how this got out of the factory like that.

BFD8BD54-90BB-49E5-9A1F-3D3A9A8466AB.jpeg

• Haha 2

Shame when it's got a nice toothed wheel to pick up on too. As you say there's no excuse for building it like that and makes you worry about what else will be wrong if something so fundamentally basic like that isn't right.

Also make me worry when you read about the need for cooling system mods here- https://www.pgmsussex.com/upgrade-kits 

You'd hope Caterham would get it right🙈

Whilst I was under the car you could see higher quality stuff all around, the powder coat was a lot thicker, welds neater etc 

2 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Also make me worry when you read about the need for cooling system mods here- https://www.pgmsussex.com/upgrade-kits 

there's something about their webshop I really like, just can't quite put my finger on it :-) 

image.png.1d0293434e140b73cdbeebdadfc3d59a.png

• Haha 5

I can’t understand why that TPS from PGM is so expensive. Must be made out dodo and golden eagle shavings

• Haha 1

I suspect it’s this, sourced from MBE, https://www.sbdmotorsport.co.uk/pt-h-xpd-02-ss-hall-effect-high-spec-throttle-pot-sensor-rhand.html

It’s already fairly expensive compared to most, but supposed to be much more reliable, as there are no tracks to wear. It’s then got the Caterham tax added to it! Or it’s possible they have to modify the cable on it? I suppose.

It's a throttle position sensor...sensor, which is probably why it's so pricey......

:)

• 10 months later...
On 24/05/2021 at 19:03, Paul Aspden (MoFast) said:

Money isn’t really the point here I mean it’s an m6 clearance hole literally 8mm in the wrong place. I just can’t see how it passed the IVA and left the factory like that.

I am not into the Caterham bashing just for the hell of it but really I just can’t understand how this got out of the factory like that.

Had the same issue with both the 420 and 620 

420 was the clearance from sensor to the cog was to far (slight adjustment).

620 was the cog required knocking a cross to line up with the sensor.

not what you’d expect but it is a no frills kit car.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just came across this old post concerning a Caterham 620 and references were made about the Partridge Green Motorsport TPS sensor.

Just for clarification it is a purpose made sensor for PGM. It isn't from SBD as in fact the 620 range use a vehicle specific sensor, which Caterham were only supplying complete with the throttle body at that time. As you must appreciate although it seems expensive it was considerably cheaper than purchasing the whole throttle body.

Looking at the original question of the distance between the speed sensor and the segmented ring the most probable cause is the ring has moved on the body of the cv joint. Unfortunately that has been known to occur on various Caterham models. Once it is pushed back in line and a little locking compound added it normally stays put, hence it was most likely fine at the IVA test.

Kind regards Colin

• Thanks 1

I’m more impressed that you joined just to say that on a 2 year old thread. Fair play

• Like 1

Hi

If the information is of help to anyone in the future I didn't see the harm in providing an update. My connection to PGM is that it is my sons business so I do obviously know the why and wherefores about that particular component. In fact my son spent many hours in conjunction with the part provider in engineering a cure for this issue. It has caused untold problems for some of the 620 owners. As the original post had some misleading information about the SBD tps which isn't suitable for this application along with comments about PGM I just tried to put the record straight. I only came across the post by sheer chance in the first place so I would assume other owners/users etc could also do the same. 

Best wishes Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s cool. Welcome aboard 👍🏻