Anyone else follow the Aussy (V8) supercars?.

Richard (OldStager)

we also have a support series called the masters in wich big banger cars from the late 60s through to the 70s running falcon HOs/torana/mustangs/valiants/camaros they would be a hand full and magic to see and hear

chris

Actually yes, TCM is as good as the main game for me, I love the older cars , and from what I understand they are just high tech these days as a modern v8 SC.

I have watched a lot of this series from down under and it really is super competitive. The speeds are huge and when it goes wrong the shunts are massive and the sound.

What I like is a driver is 10 tenths and then a commentator asks a question for the audience and without missing a beat they start chatting away, really something else

A friend in Oz has a genuine  Ford Falcon XY GT which he races. Car is beautiful and must be a handful due to its size alone ! 

1 minute ago, jeff oakley said:

I have watched a lot of this series from down under and it really is super competitive. The speeds are huge and when it goes wrong the shunts are massive and the sound.

What I like is a driver is 10 tenths and then a commentator asks a question for the audience and without missing a beat they start chatting away, really something else

From memory I think Australia was one ( if not THE )  first country to provide in car cameras and driver commentary. Agreed though I don't know how they do it.

Is that Allan Moffet, looks very like him if not?.

26 minutes ago, OldStager said:

From memory I think Australia was one ( if not THE )  first country to provide in car cameras and driver commentary. Agreed though I don't know how they do it.

I think you're right. I remember watching a Bathhurst race yonks ago.. wouldn't like to guess the year.. Dick Johnson with an in car camera that rotated? chatting away as he wrestled with his Falcon (was it? )  I was gob smacked at the time, but now it's old hat.

15 minutes ago, OldStager said:

Is that Allan Moffet, looks very like him if not?.

Well spotted....sadly not my friend in Oz 

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I think you're right. I remember watching a Bathhurst race yonks ago.. wouldn't like to guess the year.. Dick Johnson with an in car camera that rotated? chatting away as he wrestled with his Falcon (was it? )  I was gob smacked at the time, but now it's old hat.

Yes footage I have seen was at Bathurst, I think at the time the driver had to release a catch which in turn used a sprung loaded mechanism that rotated the camera whilst a car or a car he was passing overtook. All whilst doing 250 KPH down Conrod, lol. NUTS.

1 minute ago, clansman said:

Well spotted....sadly not my friend in Oz 

I know he does a lot of the club meets and stuff for Ford, so just put two and two together as it looks like a club meet in your pic.

Just now, OldStager said:

I know he does a lot of the club meets and stuff for Ford, so just put two and two together as it looks like a club meet in your pic.

Could well have been, I know Colin( car owner) does a fair bit of racing and a die hard Ford man.

This was the start of the great race the year I went with my son. We got another great man's Autograph....Dick Johnston.

OH, were you there that year, the Fabs crash?. That was sickening to watch , huge speed at that part of the track.

Took me a while to find out its David's cousin as well.