Occupations and Westfields...

Richard (OldStager)

Post are never boring as far as I am concerned @a15cro, one thing I have noticed is that a lot of careers that were once 'hands on' getting your hands dirty type ones, are now being replaced by machines that do the hard graft. I suppose folks said this when the steam engine was developed, but it seems to me at least that a lot of these skills are being lost today. Take car repairs as an obvious example, a chap takes his car in to the garage and says it's running rough, the garage then plugs in a machine that tells him what the issues are and then replaces all the parts that the computer told him to change, then his suspension needs looking at and the garage then replaces the entire wishbone assy because one ball joint was worn. Hands on fault finding appears to be long gone, and I fear today's school kids won't learn these skills.

ETA

the two examples above have happened to the chap next door and one of my mates.

The chap next door had 5 parts replaced because the computer told the garage they were faulty - his car is still the same after those repairs.

My mate had a Ford something or other and the whole wishbone needed to be changed just because lower ball joint was worn and riveted in.

Quick history. Since leaving school,

• '86 apprentice/toolmaker
  • '91 Royal Air Force, Aircraft Airframe and Propulsion Technician
  • '11 Aircraft Maintenance Instructor, Saudi Arabia
  • '14 Wind Turbine Technician
  • Oct 2020, unemployed

Ridden motorcycles since age 19, semi-bad crash in 2003 when Mrs was expecting our first child, rode for a while after but was never the same.  Was never a 'car' guy but the waining confidence in motorcycling turned my interest and I wanted a 7 style car from about 2012.  Bought a complete kit July 2018 and 100% my engineering experience helped.  

Hopefully will get back to work soon so I can buy a second Westfield, as the missus wants a white one!

• Like 1

You don't seem to have many doctors around, do you.
I am anesthetist - I send people off to sleep and make sure they wake up safe and sound. Anaesthetics goes together with Intensive Care, so I've also seen the worst COVID cases first hand.

And yet I do all my cars and bikes maintenance and repair myself and I even built the garage I work in from scratch. 

I guess I like learning new skills. 

• Like 6

Yes I don't recall we have many ( if any - I need to read the whole thing again...) it's a Commendable occupation and been under a few times by your fellow colleagues. Welcome to the club by the way and good luck with the rest of the build.

Richard

• Like 1

If you saw how many of us go about the mechanical repairs, you'd realise why we should be mostly limited to inanimate objects...

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

If you saw how many of us go about the mechanical repairs, you'd realise why we should be mostly limited to inanimate objects...

"pass me a bigger hammer"  doesn't really work as a doctor :d

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Thats exactly what they say in Orthopedics! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rush Motorsport said:

Is that why I have a limp now...🦵

😁

2 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

You’ve never seen a hip replacement, have you! :laugh:

3 hours ago, Rush Motorsport said:

Which is why I had my spinal surgery done by a neuro-surgeon...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Blatman said:

Which is why I had my spinal surgery done by a neuro-surgeon...

That's where I went wrong...

19 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

On the contrary, orthopods are known for wanting bigger hammers when things don’t go well.

Designing instruments that are accurate, can be cleaned and sterilised, hit with a hammer and work without lubrication is a challenge that has kept me busy for the last 15 years...! 

If you want to see a few examples, YouTube is awash with hip and knee replacement videos. Interesting but not for the squeamish!! 😜

Some of those videos are fascinating. I have watched micro-discectomy videos, 'cos I had that surgery back in 1997, and I watched refractive lens exchange (cataract) surgery 'cos I had that done about 7 years ago, not becasue I had cataracts but because I'm a vain b****r and I didn't want to wear reading glasses so I had my natural lenses replaced with multi-focal implants which are fantastic. I'm glad I watched the eye surgery AFTER I'd had it done though :o 

Work for Kuehne+Nagel running warehousing logistics for Leonardo Helicopters.

Introduced to cars, motorsport and mechanics by my father. Built and competed in Mini’s, Alfsuds and then Westfields in speed events over the years. Bought my Westfield 21 years ago and have rebuilt twice following boughts of upgraditus.

Get my fix these days with Sunday drives, but Clerk speed events while I plan my competitive come back. 😁

No direct car link for me in my career. I work in online marketing, design and web development day-to-day after pursuing a Computer Science academic path through uni originally.

However back at A-levels my school could only offer IT or Engineering (not both) on the timetables which were my two loves and I was forced to choose. I think my Westfield is probably that engineering scratch being itched later in life (along with the lifelong motorsport obsession inherited from my Dad).

However I'm well over my head most of the time though which is why it is constantly in bits, but at least I've got some arty photos and a blog to document its perpetual destruction. :) 

• Like 1