Occupations and Westfields...

Richard (OldStager)

Rolls-Royce aerospace

-Technical apprentice/draughtsmen ....A0 drawing boards/parallel motion, ink pens and knifes for me as       well.

- Manufacturing engineer for 6 years (working out how to make the parts)

- Systems and computing (mainframes, No desktop computers they arrived in business in 1984.)

Then transitioned to a larger IT services, then another, then another

I took the job at Rolls-Royce at 16 and never had another interview. I retired last year.

Similar to others, I took bikes and cars to bits when I was younger and still enjoy making things.  Spent the last few years getting  various machine (lathes, millers etc)  to 'scratch the making itch' in retirement.

4 hours ago, Snags said:

I wish I'd continued with cad but the early work I did was far removed from the programs now, back in the early 70s the computers were massive and only could do basic repetitive calculations. Even the companys new whole floor computer was seldom used preferred by us to use Kings College's phone in device(a bucket you threw the telephone receiver into) and it would hiss and buzz around until you got an answer usually wrong - rubbish in rubbish out -  the favourite saying.

I've purchased a student license which gives me three years usage, so much more cheaper than buying full license, I still use mine a lot, you should have another try at it?

1 hour ago, Howard said:

On the subject of Rotring pens, do you remember using a scalpel to scrape out lines, or using an electric eraser - mains powered with a rubber held in a chuck?  Used to get really hot in your hand if you were doing lots of mods 😁.  Or if it was on a certain type of film, turning the sheet over to scrape the backing off?  Those were the days...

Wow that brings back memories, started duties modifying drawings on linen where you had to be careful with the erasure drill in case the coating caught fire🔥. Then had to draw in correction using pen I can't remember the name of which you loaded with ink and cut the line carefully into the top coating. Worked on M27 motorway bridge abutments that had originally been drawn in the 50s in this way. Started with razor blades and made way up to scalpel, shear luxury, and I still carry the finger callus from using steel nib pens lol.

4 hours ago, OldStager said:

Lots of draughtsman related careers as well it seems, I am guessing as you have eluded to that no paper and pencils are needed today?.

Welcome BTW to WSCC.

I'm not adverse to the odd fag 'packet' sketch..ha!

3 minutes ago, Kerglas said:

I'm not adverse to the odd fag 'packet' sketch..ha!

It's the only way surely...LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Howard said:

On the subject of Rotring pens, do you remember using a scalpel to scrape out lines, or using an electric eraser - mains powered with a rubber held in a chuck?  Used to get really hot in your hand if you were doing lots of mods 😁.  Or if it was on a certain type of film, turning the sheet over to scrape the backing off?  Those were the days...

With acetone...wow!

4 hours ago, Snags said:

I wish I'd continued with cad but the early work I did was far removed from the programs now, back in the early 70s the computers were massive and only could do basic repetitive calculations. Even the companys new whole floor computer was seldom used preferred by us to use Kings College's phone in device(a bucket you threw the telephone receiver into) and it would hiss and buzz around until you got an answer usually wrong - rubbish in rubbish out -  the favourite saying.

I think they deliberately left the 'F' word out of the AutoCAD library, it was often used when the screen 'froze'! Ha,

We use something called Tekla for modelling. Way above my understanding but flipping amazing 

14 hours ago, Kerglas said:

you should have another try at it?

Think I'm too set in my ways now to take on a new challenge. I find drawing the "old way" quite therapeutic when I can shut myself away, still drawing extensions and whole houses for people to keep myself amused but really do not have the time for even that. When weathers good I want to be outside either in the garden making stuff, in the mancave mending tools for neighbours/friends or playing with Westfield.

I've got a slightly weird CV. Degree in mechatronic engineering, then spent 6 years working in automotive (mostly vehicle launch, with a brief stint in autonomous driving). Then left that to try to design eco friendly surfboards. Quickly realised I'm not a good enough surfer to pull thag off, so became a surf instructor to spend more time in the water. Now trying to set up a business converting campervans (surfboard project is still on the go, but on a way longer timescale).

The engineering had obvious benefits with the Westie, but I'd argue that the Westie did more for my work than my work did for it. Main thing the surfing has taught me is how much you can enjoy with virtually no money. That's absolutely applicable to Westie ownership as it definitely motivates you to learn how to DIY rather than paying someone else! 

1 hour ago, Snags said:

Think I'm too set in my ways now to take on a new challenge. I find drawing the "old way" quite therapeutic when I can shut myself away, still drawing extensions and whole houses for people to keep myself amused but really do not have the time for even that. When weathers good I want to be outside either in the garden making stuff, in the mancave mending tools for neighbours/friends or playing with Westfield.

Yes, fair point, I think we practical types are typical of each other, as a hobby, I make novelty clocks to pass 'time' during lockdown and rainy days.

20201018_110532.jpg

• Like 2

This place is full of drawing boards way back in 1979 upon leaving school where I liked TD, mine was an AO parallel motion with hydraulic central stand, very posh, I used mostly Staedtler pens, razor blades and a quill pen, 5 years part time at college & then Birm Central Uni ... maths maths and more maths zzzzzzz ...... now over 40 years later using AutoCad, Revit and Tekla ....... and not had a building fall down yet :angel-emoticon: phew  ........

Got expelled from school at 15 and went onto a YTS bricklaying course and out of 15 I was the only one who passed. That finished on a Friday and I got myself a job with a building company on the following Monday. I took to construction and learnt my trade as a general builder. Over the years I kept working my way upwards and became a Senior Site manager. I have done a lot in the food and drink industry building and altering factories to suit the clients requirements. Built a lot of schools, few court houses, hospital wards, blah, blah, blah. Never had an interest in cars and to be honest I still dont even though I like to have a nice car I just cant seem to get interested in working on them. I have tried to learn but I soon lose interest. I much prefer to just drive and enjoy the scenery.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup) said:

Got expelled from school at 15

Come on, fez up what did you do?...

I actually get as much enjoyment from working on the car as I do driving it, to be fair. However you do remind me of the guy next door, he was a builder also and has absolutely no interest in fixing his own car, which for me is odd as you are both fundamentally practical people.

36 minutes ago, Kerglas said:

Yes, fair point, I think we practical types are typical of each other, as a hobby, I make novelty clocks to pass 'time' during lockdown and rainy days.

20201018_110532.jpg

My sister would love that clock, do you take commissions?.

1 hour ago, AndrewOBW said:

The engineering had obvious benefits with the Westie, but I'd argue that the Westie did more for my work than my work did for it. Main thing the surfing has taught me is how much you can enjoy with virtually no money. That's absolutely applicable to Westie ownership as it definitely motivates you to learn how to DIY rather than paying someone else! 

This is my view as well, fixing my own stuff - I totally refuse to pay someone else for something I could do myself. I draw the line at roofing however - I don't 'do' heights to well, LOL.

a bit of a reverse strategy for me. Loved cars but didn't work in the car business, bought a Westfield, ripped out a pinto and fitted a Zetec SE decided i needed to get in the car game and have worked for nissan for 22 year, and been round the world with them as a cylinder head assembly engineer