driving in europe

wrightster

I would quite like to go on a driving holiday through europe for a few weeks , i fancy france,spain,italy and maybe switzerland , is it just a case of arranging european insurance/breakdown cover and off we go , is my normal full licence ok ? i would be thinking about going around september time , would people reccomend planning a route and booking hotels/b&bs b4 going or just setting off and staying in hotels were we like along the way .....any other advice will be gratefully recieved , so many questions and so few answers  :D

thanks

edited to say - whats the cheapest way to get over there ferry/eurotunnel ?

Just go and do it  :D  :D  :D  U.K. Licence is fine - just take some beam deflectors for headlights, spare bulb kit and foldaway warning triangle  :D  :D

Go and explore  ;)  :D

UK licence is fine.

Green Card, which is insurance for Eurpoean cover, should be free from your insurers. Apply for it in *plenty* of time. My green card for Le Mans last year took nearly 4 months to come through.......they shouldn't take that long, but hey.........

You'll also need a form E1-11 from the Post Office. This is an exemption from fees for emergency hospital treatment, should you require it.

Make sure you have adequate holiday insurance, and of course, AA or RAC or Green Flag, or whoever, for vehicle problems.

I wouldn't necessarilly pre book hotels/B&B's, but see if the hotel you first stay at can reccommend a hotel at your planned destination.

Oh yeah, drive on the right.........

Oh yeah, drive on the right.........

Really  :D

I must make a note of that for the Le Mans trip  :p

If you are going into switzerland, they'll make you buy road tax at the border, only been through there on the bike so I dont know how much it is but worth a check.

Check out the ferry's for "deals" theres usually some about, I dont know where you are, but I love the Hull Zeebruigger crossing, bit more expensive but you get a good nights sleep (plus the ocassional beer) just dont play blackjack when p********, twisting on 21 not being the brightest thing I've ever done.

And... Add a roll of gaffer tape to your spares list, its amazing what you can fix with it

and finally, If your doing Europe, you've got to do a lap or two of the nurburgring, nice driving roads round there too.

If you are going into switzerland, they'll make you buy road tax at the border, only been through there on the bike so I dont know how much it is but worth a check.

This is a motorway toll and lasts for 12 months,costs a fortune. My advice is cross into CH by non motorway border point and STAY OFF them,expensive if you get caught. :arse:

Austria is the same.

edited to say - whats the cheapest way to get over there ferry/eurotunnel ?

I go over at least 20/year and find that the ferries are far cheaper. Try Norfolk Linr Dover to Dunkirk,no frills HGV ferries= no crowding :D Currently £99 for standard return.

My advice is cross into CH by non motorway border point and STAY OFF them

Some Swiss M-ways are free, the bit near Basle is, as is some near Zurich.  They don't *make* you buy a vignette at the border unless the M-way there is toll.  But then you don't want to be taking the Westfield on Motorways when you can drive along the Rhine or up through the mountains. :)  You ARE taking the Westfield, aren't you :devil:

Myself and (now) wife did this for 10 days or so a few years ago.  We didn't book any hotels ahead, just drove until around 6pm and then looked for a hotel in the next town.  Worked fine for us, we used a guide book which indicated hotels with parking.  Although in one case the owner had to move his car out of his garage to let us park there - people always seem more accomodating when you turn up in an 'unusual' car :D  :t-up:

Oh yes - take a drive up through the Black Forest, on your way to the Nurburgring.  There's a superb tunnel in there somewhere :D:D:D

You don't need a Green Card for any country this side of the Bosphorous.  Your UK insurance will give the legal minimum cover for every county in Europe.  Having said that _DO_ arrange with your insurer to get full comprehensive cover whilst 'sur le continent' along with AA/RAC type cover.  They might give you a Green Card as evidence of this, but all you really need to do is make them aware and pay the extra premium.  Some policies contain 'free' europe-wide cover, if your cover is up for renewal between now and when you go; get a comparison between a policy with included cover and one where you need to pay extra to travel.

Some countries require you carry a first aid kit in the car, the AA/RAC can tell you which - probably on their website; do a 'blatman' :D

Spain used to require you to have a bail bond,. not sure if they still do - your insurer will know and give you one to take.

Hi. I did the same trip last year, all the other advice should be well taken, the only thing I did extra to the car was to tiewrap a complete spare set of hoses to the origanal ones, just incase, you will find that westfields do not seem to travel very far on a tank of fuel, so keep a eye on the fuel gauge. Good luck and have a nice trip, all the best Ray :D  :cool:

Oh yes - take a drive up through the Black Forest, on your way to the Nurburgring.  There's a superb tunnel in there somewhere :D:D:D

OHHHHHHH YESSSSSSS. BEEN/ DONE