Looking to buy new Westfield

GWatson

Morning guys.

I am a true newbie, well to Westfields anyway, sold my Tiger Super Cat last October.

I am currently looking at buying a 2003 zetec seiw. The car looks really good and I am very tempted. My only concern is it has a MT75 gearbox installed without a quickshift extension.

If I fit a quickshift extension will I have to take the engine out and will the hole for the gear stick be in a different, place therefore having to change the carpet.

My  other option is to fit a type 9 gearbox, again will i get away with the existing hole or will I still need a new carpet set?

Think Ill upgrade to a lightened flywheel which ever gearbox I choose to go with. I believe you have to change the clutch, start motor and flywheel when going for a lightened stell flywheel with the zetec\mt75.

Thanks in advance guys.

Graeme

I'm no expert on this, having only ever had a Type E box but it sounds like the Type 9 is the box to choose, particularly if you fancy getting a new set of gears at any time (eg new ratios or straight cut etc...).  By fitting a type 9 into an MT75 tunnel, you can also shift the zetec further back in the car for better weight distribution. I'd imagine it would be a fair old job to swop boxes though and potentially expensive.  I don't think there's much wrong with an MT75 but if you prefer the idea of a type 9, it may be better to hunt down a car with one already fitted.

Although Type 9 is preferred option box by most new builds cos of better ratios and siting etc.

Don't dismiss a used Westfield with one fitted  ;)  ;)

Quickshifts are available and Westfield do a kit for them  ;) How easy it would be to retro fit - I don't know  :(

Why not speak to Mark Walker Westfields Techy guy - he'll be able to advise if no-one provides an answer for ya  ;)  :D

The car as a 3.62 rear diff so the ratios with a MT75 shouldn't be too bad as standard.

Perhaps I will just remove the engine and gearbox and fit the quickshift, just worried I need to go to the expense of fitting a new carpet if the stick is in a different place.

just worried I need to go to the expense of fitting a new carpet if the stick is in a different place.

Less that £40.00 for tunnel carpet only new from the factory.

Cheers guys. Think I'll go with the MT75 fit the quick shift and take it from there.

Is there any good reason why no one develops different ratios for the MT75.  Is it because it is newer thant the Type 9 so it may come soon.

The bell housing is permanently attatched to the MT75 box. So you can't swap bellhousings to fit it to another engine.

The type 9 has a bolt on bellhousing, so it can be used with other engines by swaping the bell housing. Because of this it is widely used. I think it is this popularity that has lead to lots of gear kits being developed.

Would have thought however in standard trim the MT75 is probably stronger than a type 9 !!!!!

Does'nt the MT75 come with different bellhousing's, though via prefabrication at the factory. These also went in Transit vans, but I don't know what engine was in them, probably some form of crossflow. I think Mitchell Cotts does the MT75 in many bell housings as well now.

Ian

The MT75 gearbox casting is in 2 parts and splits near the rear, but about 2/3 of the main gearbox casing and the bell housing are cast as one unit, so to change this would require a lot of work.

The transit and car MT75 gearboxes are not the same can't remember exact differences but they are not the same

Is there any good reason why no one develops different ratios for the MT75

According to a certain Mr Hill, its because you have to replace all the internals to change the ratios in a MT75, whereas with the Type 9 you only have to change the cogs.  Or something of that order of significance ;)

Why would a quickshift entail a new carpet? its just raising the pivot point on the gearstick, or you mean gearshift extension ???