WSCC site

hilux

Funny you should write that the site is slow as I've been thinking the same, I thought it was my dial-up ISP (V21) but perhaps not.

Richard.

Nope. I think you'll find it slow because that new virus is hitting lots of ISP's, and filling up servers and such like. Freeserve were having *lots* of problems yesterday........

Yeh .............. bl**** virus  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :down:  :down: My e-mail address seems to be in sooooo many others address book  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead: and as this virus just picks up anyones address rather than the actual corrupted system ........ when detected the e-mail bounces back to what it thinks is the orginator  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :down: but it isn't me "Onest Guv"  :down:  :down:  :bangshead:   :angry:

Afraid that the site has been a little slow as as such our glorious sponsors are looking to providing more bandwidth for the club servers.

However over this week you will have found that much of the net has 'slowed down'. Indeed this is where I will get in my high horse a little. As I work for a datacomms company Ive have spent a LOT of this week, night and day assisting some of my higher profile customers from serious distributed denial of service attacks. These attacks consume internet bandwidth rendering sites offline and in cases ISPs offline. The frightening thing is there is absolutely nothing the person attacked can do to stop it, except introduce blacklisting of blocks of address space. Even when this is done the ISP must take a hit on bandwidth.

One of my customers sites was attacked with over 200Mbits/s of data, from a blackmailing group wanting $40K with the capability of flooding a site with 3Gig/s of data. Indeed the same group attacked a US Site causing a major link from USA to Asia to be suspended in order to reduce the effectiveness of the attack.

So how do these attacks occur ? Simple take one person with a nice fast ADSL machine and no Anti Virus and no firewall. Guess his built in system admin account and install one BOT. you now have a machine at your disposal to use for attacks (a zombie). Build yourself an army of say 6K machines (a small number compared to the number of ADSL connected machines with no security). you can now command you zombie army to attack anyone at will. The attack will come from unsuspecting machines, and will be difficult to trace back to the origin.

The latest round of Viri include these agents. So serious are these attacks been taken that I gather Hi-tech crime units are looking to sieze infected computers, as one of the only way to the source and indeed to shut down the control is by looking at the code on an infected computer.

Now this all sounds Hi-tech futuristic stuff, but if people dont take basic steps to ensure the security of thier own PC, especially when connected to allways on services, then this is the result. If you are connected to the internet, please do consider taking basic steps such as running a personal firewall and anti-virus / anti-trojan software.

if you type the command:

telnet 127.0.0.1 6667

and you get connected then you do have an IRC bot. If you dont know what this is then you shouldn't have it. beware that whilst this checks for obvious bots it does not mean you dont have something on your system.

/Rant over.

Can you reccomend a good free firewall then, or even dare i say it a cracked version?  Every firewall i've tried has made a mess of my system, once requiring a full re-install to get rid of it and its effects.

Scruffy

How lovely, I couldn't connect to that ip addy. My firewall, NAT, McAfee, Spybot, popup stopper, fully patched XP, and WEP/MAC address filtering must all be working then.  :t-up:

I've scanned my PC a couple of times over the last 48 hours and it's found nothing but I have received a c few emails from servers rejecting emails from addresses that I own, which means my addy has been spoofed. b*******. Not much I can do about that eh?

I have XP pro with a built in firewall.

Is it ok or should I get something different?

You`ve got me worried now that I have `always on` connectivity