Westfield as a company car

Somerset Jim

Has anyone investigated using a Westfield as a company car? 

It will obviously attract some benefit in kind tax but as it's not really possible to establish a list price from 18 years ago or work out the emissions for re-worked engines none of the online calculators or HMRC advice seems relevant. 

Would be nice if company bought and ran it for me. 

😀😀

I think youre having a Turkish.....🤡

15 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

I think youre having a Turkish.....🤡

No he’s avvin a Giraffe 😜

I dont think it would be a good idea 🥶

A Camaro Z28 was my company car for three years and 76,000 miles, same tax band as the Space Shuttle.

• Haha 3

I had a 1970s  Elan as my company car from 2009 to 2016. Sold it when i retired. Pretty sure the company car tax was based on the cars original list price and engine size. Was cheap tax wise, running costs a different matter 😳

I really like my car but after few hours in it, the novelty starts to wear off. 

not sure about a company hack somehow  

Serious question. It’s my company so only considering it to save using my personal money. Obviously I’d hardly do any company miles in it. 

3 minutes ago, Somerset Jim said:

Serious question. It’s my company so only considering it to save using my personal money. Obviously I’d hardly do any company miles in it. 

Isn’t that fraud?

I've ran both an MR2 and then an Impreza Turbo as company car, in a role as a UK wide service Engineer in the late 1990's. 

Insurance was my responsibility and it was loaded by 10% to cover visits to customer sites for pre-arranged visits etc. Company paid mileage allowance and I was expected to fund the car as 'part of my role'.

I think the real question is one of tax. It can hardly be fraud on his own company, if he owns the company. However, if you have more than one car, I suspect that it makes more sense to treat the car in which you do the most miles as your company car, and by the sound of it, that wouldn't be your Westfield, unless of course your other "car" is actually a work van which is used solely for work and therefor not treated as a benefit in kind, whereas with the Westfield you would be taxed on it's running costs as a benefit in kind, and if I remember correctly on a percentage of it's initial capital cost (although I'm very out of date on taxation, particularly in relation to a director of a company). 

I'd strongly suggest that you should be asking your accountant assuming you use one to do your company accounts and tax, rather than on this (public remember) forum. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I've ran both an MR2 and then an Impreza Turbo as company car, in a role as a UK wide service Engineer in the late 1990's. 

Insurance was my responsibility and it was loaded by 10% to cover visits to customer sites for pre-arranged visits etc. Company paid mileage allowance and I was expected to fund the car as 'part of my role'.

That's not quite s company car then....

Mine was 3 yr lease, insured, mileage paid, servicing and consumables paid.

NHS ....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Somerset Jim said:

If it were that simple we'd all set up our own company for £25, buy a "company car" then have our family, sorry, company directors, round for xmas lunch meeting on xmas day....etc, etc...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stephenh said:

I think the real question is one of tax. It can hardly be fraud on his own company, if he owns the company. However, if you have more than one car, I suspect that it makes more sense to treat the car in which you do the most miles as your company car, and by the sound of it, that wouldn't be your Westfield, unless of course your other "car" is actually a work van which is used solely for work and therefor not treated as a benefit in kind, whereas with the Westfield you would be taxed on it's running costs as a benefit in kind, and if I remember correctly on a percentage of it's initial capital cost (although I'm very out of date on taxation, particularly in relation to a director of a company). 

I'd strongly suggest that you should be asking your accountant assuming you use one to do your company accounts and tax, rather than on this (public remember) forum. 

I meant HMRC fraud.

17 minutes ago, Rush Motorspurt said:

I meant HMRC fraud.

Why is it fraud? As I said earlier, I ran an Elan as my company car. Perfectly legal, according to my accountant. I fail to see any problem here?