"what the devil Guys!"

Andy_R

On another post I wrote " what the devil Guys! " without any of the spaces.

When I pressed post I re-read what I wrote (I normally do this to make sure I've not screwed up 😉) and it now says "what the devil Guys!".

Have I been automatically told off by the forum's robocop? 🤣  

OMG it's done it again.

I was trying to write What The Fracking (just the first letters of each word so no real swears) if you know what I mean and robocop is changing it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Are you sure it wasn’t just the spell checker on your browser?

The three letter abbreviation is definitely on the proscribed word list though. It never used to be until many years ago when several members started using the expression so heavily, it started others “competing” to see how often they could use it, and at the same time gradually dragging the whole level of posting down in the same direction.

Yeah dubbya tee eff is not allowed. Does seem a little bit OTT to my not easily offended sensibilities 😁

'Kinell' used to be the curse of choice - is that allowed?

Looks like it! I went to the Kop Hill Climb one year as usual, and remarked on the fabulous collection of Jaguars and the vintage transporter belonging to Dick Skipworth. Sadly he sold most of them since but nobody on here could have known as his name was 'corrected' to something quite odd!

It's don't think it's coming from my browser as I appear to be able to write those censored three letters on other forums and in Google.

Just another nail in the coffin of 2020 😉 

2 minutes ago, Andy_R said:

It's don't think it's coming from my browser as I appear to be able to write those censored three letters on other forums and in Google.

Just another nail in the coffin of 2020 😉 

No it’s this forum specifically. 

3 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

No it’s this forum specifically. 

and shouldn't be :bangshead: Do we really want people on here who are that easily offended! I agree with fully spelt out profanities and images not suitable for children etc. Can we have the block list reduced. Surely now we're got a bigger Mod team, we can handle the small number of potential offenders that way rather than protecting snowflakes?

• Like 1

Oh it got truly ridiculous at one point. On a car specific forum, it wasn't possible to use the term gear knob! for instance.

However, while I often disagreed with certain words being on the filter, I couldn't argue against the habit of some of those that used them most tending to degenerate when they were allowed, and also proved remarkably catching, what the devil in particular, could spread through whole threads like a yawn sometimes - often used purely as a comedic thing, but it became so desensitised, that the original users then just moved on to something else...

However, I do agree that now we have more mods, able to look out for specific issues where it is a problem, then the automated filter could be relaxed somewhat.

At the final reckoning though, we have always promoted the forum as a family friendly place, so we do need to strike a balance.

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Oh it got truly ridiculous at one point. On a car specific forum, it wasn't possible to use the term gear knob! for instance.

However, while I often disagreed with certain words being on the filter, I couldn't argue against the habit of some of those that used them most tending to degenerate when they were allowed, and also proved remarkably catching, what the devil in particular, could spread through whole threads like a yawn sometimes - often used purely as a comedic thing, but it became so desensitised, that the original users then just moved on to something else...

However, I do agree that now we have more mods, able to look out for specific issues where it is a problem, then the automated filter could be relaxed somewhat.

At the final reckoning though, we have always promoted the forum as a family friendly place, so we do need to strike a balance.

I completely agree and as mods you've got a difficult job to working out where the line should be drawn.

For example 'what the devil' and 'OMG' both have religious angles that might offend one group of snowflakes or another. Even saying 'snowflake' or 'Karen' is starting to become offensive in some circles!

Karen is the interesting one if you look into it; from what I understand, though it sounds quite innocuous and light hearted, there is a nasty  racist background to it that most are un aware of.

26 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Karen is the interesting one if you look into it; from what I understand, though it sounds quite innocuous and light hearted, there is a nasty  racist background to it that most are un aware of.

I never knew about the racist side to the word until I just started Googling it! I'm assuming like most I felt it was light hearted ... although I could see why anyone with that name (and women in general) would be upset with the term.