An interesting afternoon...

Andy - a15cro

.......which also comes with a moral!

First off I have to say that the Munter performed very well indeed and as the sessions went on I felt my confidence growing to hit the corners with less brakes and more speed, it was certainly keeping up with most on bends. 

Second session of the afternoon, were flying, dry, crisp, sticky tyres, perfect. But then hitting the big right hander after the start/finish straight the front left gave a bit of a shudder, felt like the tyre had punctured, so I slowed to limp back to the pits, the shuddering grew worse, now I’m thinking it’s properly flat! Another knock and it felt like the tyre had come off the rim.........game over?//// pulls onto the grass and got out to investigate...........the wheel had fallen off just as I stopped 😲

The yellow flag had now turned to red, along with my face in embarrassment, rescue came in a pick up with a flat bed behind, but luckily I spotted one nut on the track, and we hoisted the car up off its brake disc, attached the wheel with two nuts and I made it back to the pits under my own steam. I honestly wanted to crawl into a hole, I’d managed to red flag a track session.

So the moral of the story guys and (girls)...........always check your nuts (ahem!) 

• Haha 9

When I ran out of fuel at Knockhill a few years back I never told anybody, blamed it on ignition or whatever. Its a bit difficult to deny this one. lol

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, a15cro said:

So the moral of the story guys and (girls)...........always check your nuts (ahem!) 

After any wheel swap, I always try to remember to check the wheel nuts after the first session on track. After the brakes have put some heat into the hubs, it often needs a tweak to re-tighten them.

1 hour ago, Rush Motorsport said:

Added lightness. 

It was the only three wheeled vehicle on track!

There was a chap with an MG Midget at a MSE track/airfield day about five years ago. He'd modified the car in several ways one way being fat sticky tyres on wider rims. The corollary to extra grip, as many with lunched diffs already know, is greater forces back into the car. He had still got the original hubs with the four 10mm studs, and the cornering forces gained by having those wide sticky tyres had broken first one, then the remaining three studs on the outside, loaded, front wheel. Away it went across the grass...

After the humiliation of being carried back to the paddock on a flat bed, he proceeded to remove one stud from each of the three remaining wheels, and drove home on all four wheels but each with three studs only. :oops:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

There was a chap with an MG

...at Croft having proper fun and showing up faster cars on the corners with his skinny tyres!

11 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

...at Croft having proper fun and showing up faster cars on the corners with his skinny tyres!

This chap had been going pretty well - until he wasn't! 

I had a 1970 Midget in the early 1970s and I loved it. The skinny tyres and puny engine meant that fun could be had at modest speeds, especially in the wet. 

N5lQZ24.png

Looks like a 1971 car

14 hours ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Looks like a 1971 car

It was (is, actually) a 1970 model year. The following year they had radiused rear arches rather than the square-ish topped ones. If I knew where it was now I might want to buy it back, dependent on condition.

Oddly enough I had owned one of each of the two cars behind too. A Standard Ten 1956, and a Triumph Herald 1960 models. The Standard was the better of those two.