Garage storage options and advice

DIY-Si

1 hour ago, Centurion51 said:

Like the look of the Sealy cabinets but also found some on Bigdug that look quiet a bit cheaper, anyone had any experience with Bigdug? 

Ive bought workshop racking and bins from Big Dug, does what it says on the tin, decent quality, I think the only issue was the delivery time ended up a day late. but it was a couple of years ago so I can't exactly remember.

• 1 month later...

I've got some of the Big Dug shelving. It's ok for the money. They do various different ranges that will take more weight so check what you are going to use it for before you buy it. I got the cheapest stuff and it's fine for what I'm using it for. The shelves are thin bits of MDF so I swapped one for some ply that I had spare.

I use 'Really Useful Boxes' for storing stuff. I've found they are much better quality than most other plastic boxes. A lot of the cheaper ones seem to smash to pieces as soon as you look at them. 

I'm planning to fit two tool drawer units under my workbench on the left once I get a shed in the garden after Christmas. The plan is to have the garage for car/bike stuff and then all the garden/house stuff in the shed. I hate having to move garden stuff around the garage to get to other stuff.

20201213_120323878_iOS.jpg

3 hours ago, Rush Motorspork said:

How do you fit the car in through that tiny door?

Chop all the pointy bits off and weld them back on again like everyone else 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If on a budget, for shelving units, I have got a few of these, and they do take an enormous amount of weight.

Only go for the red ones (265kg per shelf) - they are much better and cheaper than big dug.

https://www.manomano.co.uk/search/grack

mano mano seems to be a drop shipper but I have good service from them (free delivery) and cheaper than the makers website.

On one rack, I have 2 cylinder blocks 2 gearboxes and loads of boxes full of very heavy brake and suspension stuff from the vintage cars I am restoring.

The whole lot must be best part of 1/2 a ton (and yes, its screwed to the wall as well!)

Dave.

Thanks all for the continuing ideas. I currently have a pair of stacked heavy duty stationery cupboards with the slidy doors. They're proving very useful as the shelves are so flexible on height, although I do need a step ladder to reach the top shelves. The top one is screwed to the roof, as its a sliding fit....

My next probable idea is to use pallet racking, as I've found that the yard that I have a lock up on has some going cheap. £2-4 a piece cheap, so an 8ft bay should only cost £30-40, plus the cost of the shelves. And it'll take a ton a shelf!

20201214_212913.jpg

• Like 2