Thoughts on Vettel replacing Perez?

DonPeffers

I thought someone else might have posted by now.

Perez leaving racing point and Vettel to replace him joining Lance Stroll in the newly renamed Aston Martin team. 

It's been said Vettel will help to develop the new car in 2021.

I don't know if he's good at feedback (rather than griping) but after 6 years at Ferrari, development seems well off the pace.

I guess for 2021 there won't be a number 1 and 2 driver so we could see tension there.

For Seb's sake I hope he can get some good results, enjoy his racing and provide us with entertainment  BUT it will take a different mindset from what we have seen over the last months/years.

Personally I think Vettel should not be on the track after the red mist incidents and wheel clashing. Anybody with a temper like that should not be in a racing car. 
In addition, Perez had a contract and has not underperformed. As such should still have his seat. 
In my view both of these issues do not reflect well on F1. 

• Like 2

In short answers and all IMHO:

> Vettel is past it and has been for some time.  He’s only won 14 races since 2015 out of 110 since joining Ferrari, which hardly speaks well about leading a team.  He’s fast in a perfect car, but the difference between him and Hamilton is that Lewis makes a good car competitive and a great car unbeatable - Vettel can’t win in an uncompetitive car.

> Was Perez treated badly?  Yep - welcome to the Piranha Club as Ron Dennis would say.  He saved Force India by wielding a knife when asked, and was stabbed with another knife that he has to carry around for the rest of the year.  How he’s going to be out of a job while Grosjean still races is a mystery.

> As above, Vettel is a dangerous, reckless driver who should have had his super license suspended on a number of occasions.  Christian Horner is much to blame for this, letting Vettel get away with whatever he wanted without punishment.

> Watch out if daddy’s boy Lance starts outperforming Sebastian.  Toys will be ejected from the racing pram.

> Much gets written about what a nice guy Seb is off the track.  I’m afraid I have almost no respect left for him when he’s on the track.  I think for Seb, this is as ill-advised as Schumacher’s coming out of retirement to drive for Mercedes.

Time will tell.

• Like 3

I totally agree with all said above by Andrew and The Captain.

That said, lets us hope he can make the best use of this chance and especially avoid whining on the radio complaining to the pits that everything is wrong and nothing is his fault as that tactic is worn out.

• Like 1

Vettel's race driving (i.e. when around other cars) remains suspect.  He has performed best in fast cars, running out front and managing a lead.  I can't see that Racing Point will be able to provide him with a car capable of running ahead of the field so he will not be in his best environment. 

My wife will disagree with the above as she is a huge Vettel fan - and Twitter expert.  Please do not tell her that I have posted this!

However, his experience in the winning teams should be an asset to Aston Martin.

Simon

2 hours ago, Simon Marks - North Oxfordshire AO said:

He has performed best in fast cars, running out front and managing a lead.  I can't see that Racing Point will be able to provide him with a car capable of running ahead of the field so he will not be in his best environment. 

The RP is fast. Maybe Vettel can put it in a solid 3rd where he isn't fighting much so he gets close(r) to his comfort zone. And being in the mix might help him to re-discover his "racing" capability. He must have had it as he came through the ranks and right here right now (and next year 'cos the rules aren't changing much) the RP/Aston Martin might offer him better tools for the job than Ferrari can at the moment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky444 said:

To be honest F1 is boring its a one horse race needs to take a look at motogp and copy,not worth turning on the tv anymore for 

Take it you haven't watched the last 2 races then ;)

On 11/09/2020 at 14:33, AndrewBClarke said:

Personally I think Vettel should not be on the track after the red mist incidents and wheel clashing. Anybody with a temper like that should not be in a racing car. 
In addition, Perez had a contract and has not underperformed. As such should still have his seat. 
In my view both of these issues do not reflect well on F1. 

Hmmm dont remember much being said about schumaker  being unfit fit to drive 

Banging wheels whilst rolling round at slow speed, while incredibly petulant, was never dangerous imo, have you ever watched touring cars;). Sport is getting too sanitised these days and the characters are disappearing. 

We look back at the likes of hunt etc and think 'oh what a lad, what a character' if he was racing today we'd all be calling him reckless and arrogant and a poor role model. Proper double standards. 

Back to the original point I think perez has every right to be aggrieved. Daddy stroll wants a big name in the team to raise the profile and be slow enough for lance to beat.

56 minutes ago, pistonbroke said:

I would have done but I am too young to remember him 😉

I don’t have Vettel down as a cheat - unlike Schumaker or Rosberg who were - but Vettel does sometimes drive in anger which is not a good idea. 

22 hours ago, Ricky444 said:

To be honest F1 is boring its a one horse race needs to take a look at motogp and copy,not worth turning on the tv anymore for 

Not much aero in motoGP. It's aero that kills racing because EVERY team is looking to put their driver in clear air. If the driver/car is in clear air all the time how will that ever be racing?

4 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

Or Senna.

3 hours ago, AndrewBClarke said:

unlike Schumaker or Rosberg who were

And Flavio Briatore / Bennetton who, not content with the "Option 13" thing on Schumachers car, along with fuel filling irregularities (among others) then some years later proceeded to have Nelson Picquet Junior deliberately crash a Renault (Briatore was Renault team boss at this point) to help Alonso.

Picquet got dropped and threw Briaotore/Renault under the bus.

I think Briatore was particularly toxic in F1.

Rosberg was just weak...

I remember Senna brake-testing Mansell (source Mansell) at Monaco when Mansell had fresher tyres towards the end of the Grand Prix but couldn't get past. No complaints or crashing deliberately from Mansell.

Vettel's crashed into the back of Hamilton (25 June 2017 Azerbaijan) thru his own incompetence. Telemetry proved no braking by LH.

Banging wheels in a temper, days after a terrorist outrage killed civilians with a vehicle (03 June 2017 London), was not a good look.

Regarding 'aero' not greatly adversely affecting MotoGP versus F1 if they are using the same track and the car is three times wider than the 'bike perhaps F1 needs wider race tracks with differing cornering possibilities.

1 hour ago, DonPeffers said:

if they are using the same track and the car is three times wider than the 'bike perhaps F1 needs wider race tracks with differing cornering possibilities.

The track can be 10 times wider, there's still only 1 racing line. There are the odd exceptions, like Mugello last week where Albon said there was plenty of grip on the wide line at turn 1. Other than that the combination of aero and carbon/carbon brakes makes the braking zones too short a lot of the time. Bikes are much slower in the corners and need longer braking areas, and there is no loss of downforce or stability even when competitors are just centimetres apart. 

If F1 could bleed off some aero, reduce the size of the discs, maybe go back to steel, there might be more "racing margin". Right now the margin is very very small.