People can be such BA stewards ☹️

Captain Colonial

Two and a half years ago, my poor neighbour lost control of his MGB in Wales.  The corner on the B road he was going around turned out to be slick with cow poo and he slid off (Aquapooed? Poo-planed?) at 15mph into a gate post, which screwed the front end something awful.

He then spent the next two years rebuilding and repairing it - I helped him - and it was back on the road this spring. 👍

On Friday night in London, he was driving in a 20 mph zone when a driver doing 50 mph blew a red light and hit him and ricocheted off into some street furniture, then ran off, leaving his car behind with an empty vodka bottle and pot paraphernalia inside it.

This was the result:

738076F0-0D54-4449-807E-D64CD6D6F5D9.jpeg

My friend is determined to rebuild it, but he’s understandably gutted. :( 

• Sad 7

It is so wrong that this has happened. No doubt if the car was stolen he will have no chance of justice, if it was the driver who owned the car they will claim shock made them run away etc and will get a slap on the wrist.

I hope he does rebuild it but that will depend on how much chassis damage is done and how much money he gets from the insurance.

Hopefully he was unhurt  

Absolutely gutted for him. As long as he is OK, the car can be rebuilt or replaced, but that won't make him feel any better about it. 

2 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

Hopefully he was unhurt

He was indeed unhurt, luckily. 👍

Apparently the front cross member is undamaged but time will tell chassis wise.  The rad and oil cooler have been driven into the fan and the wings are so wrapped around the front wheels that they won’t rotate.  But he’s determined to get it back on the road, whatever the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

There was story some years ago who drove his classic literally around the world with no problems, then he got back home, went to the supermarket and someone smashed into it.

We've got serious problems in the UK, I think we have the worst, most aggressive and dangerous drivers in the world and I think that somehow that fact gets brushed under the carpet. I think it's the level of aggression and entitlement in this country, sure go to somewhere like Italy and they drive like nutters, BUT it's not aggressive, it's just what everyone does.

Many years ago I had an Austin Healey 3000 which bodily was immaculate having been restored on behalf of the previous owner by a coach builder.

Anyway, parked in a public car park, well out of the way of other vehicles. I returned to the car to find a big dent in the boot lid. The person who did it must have known because inspection revealed that their bumper over rider must have hooked over the steel bumper of the Healey, because there were 2 clear hand prints where someone had had to push down on the back of the car in order to allow the guilty party's car to drive away from my car. No indication of who had done it, no apology note, nothing. 

At least it was nothing like as bad as the Captain's neighbour, but I know how he must feel.

• Sad 1

Really makes you feel a bit sad. 

Time for another anecdote.  My brother was fortunate enough, through his own hard work for 20 years and saving, to buy his dream car, an Aston Martin V8 Vantage about 8 years ago...  he was sitting behind a car waiting to turn right at traffic lights which where on green.  Car in front, slams into reverse and accelerates as hard as it could smashing the front of my brothers car.  why? anyones guess....  Guy gets out and had his gf + kid in his car, gave false details and drove off.

Brother tracked the guy down on facebook and reported him to the police.  The police adamantly stated it could not be this gentleman as he was banned from driving for...wait for it; driving a car whilst disqualified... ????  ... no insurance, no tax, no MOT... police couldn't care less... bro had to get it repaired out of his own pocket.... 

yet Mr / Mrs law abiding citizen (you and I) even dare forget to insure or tax or have a slightly small number plate and we get the full weight of the law...

Even if they do catch the guy that smashed into his MG, the police will do nothing and said scumbag will be back on the road before you know it.

What annoys me, is the scumbags of this world have the exact same democratic vote as you or I.  An equal say despite not having an equal input into society.  (sorry getting a bit political)...

grrrr.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Sorry to see this. 😖

Any CCTV footage from surrounding buildings of the perpetrator/Incident?

1 hour ago, TableLeg said:

Sorry to see this. 😖

Any CCTV footage from surrounding buildings of the perpetrator/Incident?

Let’s put it this way - the accident happened on the Friday night in front of a copper in a police car 🚔 who gave chase on foot but lost him.  My neighbour called the following Wednesday because he hadn’t heard anything, and the police said they hadn’t even written up the report yet, let alone passed it on to traffic!  So AFAIK, he still hasn’t a clue if the car was stolen or the fate of the scumbag.  The car that hit him was showing as insured, but who knows if they’ll pay out.  If the driver was drunk or stoned, probably not. :( 

• Sad 2

If we are on anecdotes, many years ago I had a custom painted Ford Capri Which was my pride and joy. Parked in a car park in Barnsley two young ladies pulled up next to me and flung open the door onto the body line as it went down the side, denting the side of my car and taking a chunk out of the paint.

I got out and politely spoke with these two and the abuse I got back would have , at the time shocked a docker, pretty normal song lyrics now.

They waddled away laughing and saying more rubbish. Back then I had a temper, still have but control it now, so I waited until they were out of sight and then kneed every single panel in on her mini. I am not proud of that now but some people will only ever understand that type of action. Not sure she would found that so funny after all it was just a car

Is it any worse now, yes because everyone is angry and "Dissing" anyone is now likely to end in bloodshed, all we can do is try to not be someone's target for a vendetta, but more importantly we must complain when the police do nothing as the last poster has shown sometimes they are lacking in the will. 

I wrote to our local police and crime commissioner when she was explaining that the police get a share of speed awareness and all the other courses you can attend, attend. She appeared not to agree that perhaps if there was a sliding scale bounty on other crimes, say £50 per burglar, £1k per murderer that perhaps they might pay more attention.

• Like 2

On the flip side to some of the anecdotes I parked my 911 in a Leeds McDonalds car park earlier this week. I parked with no cars either side and went in to order my food (the drive through was closed for some reason). When I came back with my order there was an old ish Corsa parked next to my car and a women looking really distressed. She said the wind took her door as she was coming out and smacked hard against my rear arch and had been waiting for me to come out to explain what happened.

Luckily I have that clear protective stuff on the rear arches (mainly to protect from stone chips) and this saved the arch from any damage. You could see where the door hit as there was a smudge but this wiped away and there was no damage. The lady insisted I took her details but under closer inspection at home there is still no damage so I texted her back so she wasn't worried.

I'm aware it could just have happened and she was preparing to do a runner but I actually think she was one of those few genuine people that drive our roads!

I just wish everyone else was like that! 

• Like 5

On 16/09/2020 at 12:35, Captain Colonial said:

Let’s put it this way - the accident happened on the Friday night in front of a copper in a police car 🚔 who gave chase on foot but lost him.  My neighbour called the following Wednesday because he hadn’t heard anything, and the police said they hadn’t even written up the report yet, let alone passed it on to traffic!  So AFAIK, he still hasn’t a clue if the car was stolen or the fate of the scumbag.  The car that hit him was showing as insured, but who knows if they’ll pay out.  If the driver was drunk or stoned, probably not. :( 

He is going to have to be a real pain in the Ass with the Police otherwise it will just get dropped. Far more important things to do, like look after a few Climate Change protestors or something like that. Unfortunately heard of too many cases now where this has happened.

I agree, if you want the police to actually do anything, especially (it seems) to solve motoring crimes (other than speeding) then you have to pester them, or more precisely the civilian employee who answers the phone.

Like Nick I have heard of too many instances (from people I know well enough and who's judgement I trust) where the Police are ineffective. 

To be honest, many police officers have lost heart. The CPS and the courts are the problem as they do not do the follow up.

We were burgled and several watches were lost. Police said little chance of finding them, but some of the watches were unique so I went on the usual sites and that very night one of them was on there at a pawn shop.

Young officer went and got the person who was selling it (she found it in a hedge). Any way he did everything to prove the case phone locations etc he could have done no more. CPS wanted a police caution.

I kicked up a fuss with the CPS and the PCC (this burglary it total cost the insurance £40 k with repairs to home and lost property) so it went to court and she got a suspended 6 month sentence.

The young copper felt he had let me down. The only upside was she walked out of the court and then was caught that afternoon shoplifting in Primark (classy) and did end up in jail.

The young copper had little resource, little help and the CPS just wanted to drop everything and that is why we see respect for the law, not the officers, falling

• Like 1