What are the MOT emissions for a Westfield/kit car?

Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO

My car failed its long-delayed MOT yesterday on emissions.

It’s on a Q plate, first registered in 1992.  The engine is a 1600 crossflow on twin Dellortos.

The tester was adamant that he had to use 1992 to get the emissions limits, which he tested on.  The emissions were not good – not surprising as the engine isn’t running at all well.

The V5, which I didn’t take to the test, doesn’t have any entries for emissions.

I know that MOT regulations do change.  Is the tester correct, or should any Q plate car still be assessed as a 1975 vehicle for visible smoke only?

Thanks for your advice with this.

Geoff

Emissions.JPG

I've not heard of the visible smoke only test for a Q changing; @Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO to the Boardroom.

Thank you for that Dave.  I found the inspection manual on the gov.uk web site, and it states "to be considered as first used before 1 August 1975" for emissions.

I'll go back to argue my case.

Geoff

This isn’t the first case of this recently is it. We’ve had a couple lately following an update to the DVSA systems where ‘the system’ is reluctant to let the test proceed unless it registers a CAT test. Definitely one for someone in the know. 

• Like 2

The manual is available online to all, and the relevant part is as follows:-

For emissions purposes only you should treat the following as first used before 1 August 1975:

• kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998
  • w**kel rotary-engined vehicles first used before 1 August 1987
  • Q plated vehicles

How much clearer does it need to be in this case? Any kit car registered before August 1998 does not need a measured emissions test whatever registration plate it has!

This problem is not system related but plain old human error, failure to read and understand the manual. I would encourage the @geoffd to return and ask the tester to show him in the manual where it states that a 1992 kit car should be emissions tested. Otherwise inform them that you are going to go for a statutory appeal (form VT17) as you are guaranteed to win an appeal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I've just got back from the garage with the printout from the on-line manual.  I think they may have realised their error, although the tester wasn't there today.  Anyway, the car is booked in for a re-test tomorrow.  So hopefully the situation will be resolved soon.  I'll keep you posted.

Geoff

• Like 5

@geoffd I'm glad you are getting a positive resolution to the issue. However, a formal complaint to the AEDM of the station, with a suggestion that their QC needs improvement and that the tester in question may need retraining, would be a good idea. Sending a copy to DVSA may help too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martyn Vann - Warwickshire AO said:

@geoffd I'm glad you are getting a positive resolution to the issue. However, a formal complaint to the AEDM of the station, with a suggestion that their QC needs improvement and that the tester in question may need retraining, would be a good idea. Sending a copy to DVSA may help too!

Great advice as always Martyn, I'm sure I speak for many on here we appreciate your knowledge and experience on such discussions. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I now have an MOT!  

The garage is a small business, so I'm not going to make any trouble for them.  The owner processed the re-test, but didn't offer an apology.  I don't think I will go back there, which is a shame in a way, as they have done some good work on my other cars.

Many thanks for all the advice in this thread.  The club is a great community.

Geoff

• Like 3

On 08/06/2023 at 14:54, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

within a few years, I think. I SVA'd a car 2004 or may have been 05. I'd need to check

My current car was SVA’d in 2008

On 22/08/2023 at 13:31, corsechris said:

This isn’t the first case of this recently is it. We’ve had a couple lately following an update to the DVSA systems where ‘the system’ is reluctant to let the test proceed unless it registers a CAT test. Definitely one for someone in the know. 

My local garage gets around this on his machine for my Q plate by getting me to rev the engine to 2500 rpm and placing the test wand about 30’ away from the exhaust.  “Ooo, another year, another pass!”, he says. 😂

• Haha 3

My MOT tester never has any trouble with either the Westy or the Midlana, both Q plate cars of very different ages, and the Midlana even passed the BET at IVA, so it does certainly look like a lack of training as Martyn says.

The cars don’t get tested at all for emissions, as is indeed correct.

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2023 at 10:56, Flying Carrot Steve said:

What happened at the MOT test then Richard? 

I'm sorry, as was discussed I was AWOL for a time - long story.

Back to the topic, I completely forgot to ask him this year, because of heath issues the car never got tested till Feb/Mar. But even this year he did the same emissions test, its become so regular now, I never comment on it. However he did say the car passed ( it didn't he removed the probe halfway through the test - I was watching). You need to remind me in Spring to ask him as we just chat about old cars for the entire test time. He restores classics and always has some gems in the workshop. AS I said in my post last year, I can't help but feel it's a data gathering task, maybe just by Blackpool council I don't know - perhaps ULEZ is being considered for the future?. I have no clue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2023 at 11:04, corsechris said:

My MOT tester never has any trouble with either the Westy or the Midlana, both Q plate cars of very different ages, and the Midlana even passed the BET at IVA, so it does certainly look like a lack of training as Martyn says.

The cars don’t get tested at all for emissions, as is indeed correct.

My MOT garage has looked into this for me and it is correct that Q plate cars are treated as pre 1/8/1975 for emissions providing that there is no reference to emissions on the V5.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone I just wanted to jump on to this thread for some help. 
My Westfield has just failed it MOT on emissions. The garage said it could be fuelling issue and needs diagnostics but I’ve noticed that the test says it for Cat equipped vehicles I’ve dug out the previous MOT and they say it’s been tested on Non Cat equipped? My car is not on a Q plate and doesn’t say anything on the V5 regarding emissions.  Is this correct or can I argue this with the MOT station? 
many thanks 

sam