Steering Wheel Button Controls - Concept Design

Rab (bombero) Reid

Steering Wheels, What Have You .. 3-hole or 5-hole?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A mate is looking at the potential market for designing a button layout and needing to better understand the market for 'mass' production. As this at the concept stage, I don't have any details whatsoever and it's simply looking at where the potential market might sit. Design takes up a large chunk of any product and time could be wasted/lost if there isn't an appetite for this..

Er, five hole? If you mean the mounting holes, should that not be six? Also be aware that there are two common six hole PCD’s

6 x 70mm PCD is probably the most common, (Momo etc) 6 x 74mm PCD is the other one. (Nardi, etc)

6 x 70mm is probably by far the most common one, though, if only making one 6 hole option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Er, five hole? If you mean the mounting holes, should that not be six? Also be aware that there are two common six hole PCD’s

6 x 70mm PCD is probably the most common, (Momo etc) 6 x 74mm PCD is the other one. (Nardi, etc)

6 x 70mm is probably by far the most common one, though, if only making one 6 hole option.

Amended 👍

No worries, just changed the title for you as well! (Oh and voted!!)

• Like 1

Is he only targeting Westfield/7 type cars or looking at a wider market ? The Mota Lita wheels are much more common in classic car / replica circles and a different pcs to the voting options offered .  I have a Mota Lita on my Westfield.

1 hour ago, neptune said:

Is he only targeting Westfield/7 type cars or looking at a wider market ? The Mota Lita wheels are much more common in classic car / replica circles and a different pcs to the voting options offered .  I have a Mota Lita on my Westfield.

Aye, just looking at the 7 market for now, as we're more likely to be interested in steering wheel push buttons whereas the classic car scene tends to lean towards a retro look. You're the exception, mate! 😁

3 hole flat , when you say buttons do you mean in a similar style to these 4 ?

F45D8E6A-2FD3-4CEA-A7A4-93D372AF1E74.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weekend Warrior said:

3 hole flat , when you say buttons do you mean in a similar style to these 4 ?

Yup 👍

I have a fairly small 3-hole SPA wheel, which necessitated keeping the buttons fairly close the the centre

Carbon_tunnel.jpg

• Like 2

And of course, as can be seen in the preceding photos, with three bolt wheels, some have a single bolt at the top, two underneath, and some have two bolts to the top, one below!

Its never easy, is it, when trying to make universal parts!

if both 3 hole PCD’s are the same, might be easier to make it a six hole, so that the buyer can decide which “way up” they want the three they will use!

• Like 1

So, here's a wee teaser for what's potentially in the pipeline..

288331956_SummitTechnologiesRaptorTempest.thumb.jpg.56e4eb70c3391f94218a007f82db3e55.jpg

Lee at Summit Technologies, renowned for the Raptor wireless steering wheel control and Talon digital control system amongst others, is looking into a concept design for kit cars predominantly the Seven/sevenesque. Current concept design is based around the OMP Targa 330mm flat 6-hole PCD steering wheel with a view that, should there be sufficient interest in another 3-spoke flat or flat dish wheel, then design progression will follow. Looking for feedback, comments and interest so let him know what you think .. keep it clean! 😄 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robert (bombero) said:

Current concept design is based around the OMP Targa 330mm flat

Would have thought there'd be little demand for a 330mm.

Majority of wheels used are 300 - 280 mm.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

That was my first thought too - 330mm must feel like a truck wheel in a 7-type car. Mine is 270mm

Two suggestions:-

1. The variety of steering wheel designs / sizes / shapes out there is almost as wide as the number of Westfields - basing a design on a single steering wheel design is going to massively restrict the sales potential
  2. He'll be up against a very well established and highly respected WSCC supplier - @Kit Car Electronics

I have to admit though, the render / mock-up looks very good

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

I initially thought the same but after talking with Lee, I understand why he's decided to start with the OMP Targa as the 'test bed' model to create the backing and pad. This'll form the basis for the overall design then, should he receive enough interest, creating the same for 280-300mm wheels would be straightforward.

I think it can be difficult to gauge interest against the time and cost of even producing prototypes, and many businesses have to think long and hard about new ventures given the crippling economic environment created by the pandemic. It's encouraging to see any UK company willing to step up during these uncertain times. 

4 hours ago, NigelO said:

Two suggestions:-

1. The variety of steering wheel designs / sizes / shapes out there is almost as wide as the number of Westfields - basing a design on a single steering wheel design is going to massively restrict the sales potential
  2. He'll be up against a very well established and highly respected WSCC supplier - @Kit Car Electronics

I have to admit though, the render / mock-up looks very good

1. That's been at the forefront of Lee's creative thinking. This is why, he tells me, that the design requires an extraordinary amount of working and re-working to come up with a design that'll fit the majority of popular wheels. That said, it may also be possible to create variants of the base design to fit a wider range but to get enough interest so this can be re-invested is the tricky part.

2. It is always good for the consumer to have a choice! 😉