My E Mail

taffy

Hi Technos!

Went to retreive my mails and got 9 incoming (outlook express). The system wont download any of them. Ive increased time out settings but still no good. Icon (arrow) shows mail into intray.

Any ideas? :durr:

Rob

Sorry to hijack the post but my son ,who I love dearly :angry: has upgraded my Outlook to .6 losing all my saved mail folders in the process :angry:  :angry: . Is there any way to get these back ? :durr:

If your system has a "recovery" programme of some sort (mine is called "GoBack) then recovery is simple.

Also, if you backed up your registry before the changes (as you should) then it's also (a bit less) simple to restore to the backed up registry. HOWEVER, if you are not used to fiddling with the registry, this wouldn't be a good time to start........

And if you're on BTinternet it has all transferred to BTYahoo and now based in India  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :down:  :down:  and has been a real pain in the  :arse:

In all the years I was on it - It ran sweet, never once did I have to call "Helpline" - Been based in India via yahoo and mine also locked up and wouldn't download  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :down: Had to phone 3 times to get them to press the button at their end  :bangshead:  :(  Which proved very difficult me not being able to speak irdu, gudj or hindi  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :down:

Taffy

Have you just changed your ISP ?  I couldn't send when I did, and had to change my SMTP settings to my new ISP.  Then worked fine!

Dickie

upgraded my Outlook to .6 losing all my saved mail folders in the process

I did this  :durr: but it turned out that they were not lost  :)

I should point out that I did not so much upgrade as buy a new hard disk and install XP on it (incl OE6).  All my OE5 files remained intact on my old hard disk.  

In OE5 all the folders are stored as Foxpro mbx files and the mail is stored within them.  Try searching your hard disk for inbox*  You should find a file in an Outlook Express directory buried somewhere within a Windows/profile directory, exactly where depends upon your version of Windows.  In order to access the folders you will need to run OE5, once you have done this you can File>Export your folders into OE6 format.

If you need to re-install OE5 you may need to go to the menu; Tools>options>Maintain (tab)>Store Folder (button) in order to point OE5 at the right directory.  Try searching first for *express, you may well find that the OE5 .exe file is still on your hard disk, I think that OE6 files are stored somewhere else.

Of course you do all of this at your own risk, your PC and House may be at risk if you do not keep up repayments... etc etc  :D  :D  :D

Good Luck

Ian

Hi Men,

I think you are correct Mr Stanton, those bounders in Bangladesh have rather F***ked us up.

If I have one more chap ring me up to offer his services from the sub continent I am gonna go F***cking crazy!!!!

Anyway whats this that you are walking with a limp?

Was it the Stella? Tell us more!

Rob and Pat

Of course you do all of this at your own risk, your PC and House may be at risk if you do not keep up repayments... etc etc  :D  :D  :D

Good Luck

Ian

My son thinks that to save his miserable life that the risk is worth it. :D  :D

Thanks for the help.

OK

Ive been struggling with this for a couple of days so if you havent got it sorted update your virus software as a new spam freak is using it at the mo

spoke to my tech head computer freak m8...downloaded the avg update and one nasty virus ass kicked 250 spams later all is now well

worth a try ....worked for me

Trev

My brother had a similar problem - in his case an overlong graphic file was causing his sytem to be blocked and he could not get his usual text mails.

He rang his ISP ( Virgin ) and they suggested he use a free web service called mail2web.com which allows you to enter your regular e-mail address and your e-mail password and then you can view all your mails on the server, view them and delete them before transferring them to your pc first - which you can do later.

I use it regualy to check my personal mails from my work machine when I get a spare few moments.

This might help.

Regards

Bryan C

PS as Mail2Web sponsor a LeMans Porche, I think they might appreciate our support.

:D

mail2web.com which allows you to enter your regular e-mail address and your e-mail password and then you can view all your mails on the server, view them and delete them before transferring them to your pc first - which you can do later. I use it regularly to check my personal mails from my work machine when I get a spare few moments.

I use BT and F9 for my e-mails and both companies allow you a view and read/delete facility without the need to transfer or read via some other company  :D  ;)