• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Which Polo radiator

Mike-SEiW

Update: Received the radiator. Started mounting it and realised its a very very tight squeeze. After a LOT of fiddling I managed to fit it inside the nose cone, but had to completely re-do the fastenings and mountings. It is sitting right back almost right smack up against the front chassi rails.

Have been pondering this since I did the mounts and mounted the fan last weekend.

Measured the core, and yes, it's approx 430mm x 320 and the number matches what I ordered, so I got the right part.

Obviously either my nosecone is signifiantly smaller (as if), or there's something fishy. The website of the company I bought it is currently down (which explains why the dimensions piccy doesn't work right now), but looking around I see there is an even smaller radiator, that's 380x322mm. It is probably this one I should have gotten instead.

So those looking back through this topic, don't buy the one I got (430x322), get the even smaller one that as far as I can tell, comes from the 1.0l Polo's, and not the 1.1l or 1.3l models.

It will fit anyway, byt adding ARBs in the future will be a problem as there's no space left :(

I must admit I just went down the scrappy and bought the nicest looking one I could find... Then 'adjusted' things to fit...

Had to cut off the expansion pipe fitting (filled with araldite) then it fits perfectly at the top of the cone, leaving room underneath to duct to the oil cooler.

Hardest thing was getting the old Ford fan to fit... I have since thrown the noisy b@stard fan away and mounted a pacet fan on the front to give me more room for ducts and stuff (next project to duct the radiator exhaust or maybe ARB)

It's always much easier once you have the bits in your hand ... and on the floor and on the bench and in the kitchen and ... ... ;)

...©

Gulp. Obviously the picture painted considerably less than a thousand words..........   :down:  :down:

Are you sure you asked for a 1.0l Polo rad when you ordered?

Uhm, no, because I didn't know it was supposed to be from a 1l polo. That's why I asked what size it was supposed to be.

It will work anyway and I got a bigger radiator to boot. But, I hope this topic pops up when people do a search because we now know the correct radiator size and exactly what year/engine combo.

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

I can believe a search missed it before. I've contributed to at least 4 or 5 threads in the past which clearly state that the 1.0l Polo rad is what you want. There are plenty of references:

Here, here, here, etc etc.......

Still feeling a bit defensive....  :down:  :down:

No problems. I don't blame anyone for the information I tried searching for but apparently missed.

I've made it fit anyway so it's no big deal.  :t-up: