Dorset to St Tropez

Ewan

I’m going to a sailing event in St Tropez in late September and am contemplating travelling by car. It’s 950 miles (approx) each way. Would I be mad to take the Westy given I’d only want one overnight stop each way? Can you realistically do 450 miles in a day in a V8 Westy with no roof? (I’ve only just bought the car so have no experience of a long journey in it.). Advice required!

You can, but it depends how you’re doing it! ie fast Autoroutes etc you’ll cover lots of ground quickly, compared to using normal roads. BUT, either option will be way more tiring than you expect, it will probably feel like you’ve done double the mileage, compared to a normal car. Plus fuel tank range is limited, compared to a tin top, so again, depending how hard you’re going, stops will be more frequent.

Weather is the other big variable. Not just wet weather either, if it’s really hot/sunny, there’s no escape, (you quickly realise why convertibles aren’t that popular in really hot countries); funnily enough, the now really popular half hood, in the style we know, was actually developed for Caterhams doing a tour in the US I believe, where part of it involved crossing Arizona - they were intended as sun shades originally!

Both high heat and wet weather can be quite draining to drive through.

Again though, everyone’s different, so what might leave some of us a shattered lump on the floor, you might shrug off easily!

Try a longer run or two first and see how you go? (We usually work to an average of around 350 miles or so a day on tours, but I know plenty doing 400+

If you could extend the travel times at all, you’d get to see and enjoy more of some amazing French roads...

I agree with everything Dave has said.  I am driving down to the Dordogne in September and that is about 350 miles from St Malo.  I did it last year and it was very doable sticking to the main routes.   I used my half hood for most of the journey as it made it less tiring.  It was only the last 30 or 40 miles of the trip that the roof came off and by then I was on the twisty turny roads. 

If you do decide to go, get an Emovis Toll Tag as all the fast routes are toll roads!  They are a must have to save you the hassle of paying at the toll booths which is not fun in a RHD low down sports car!!  I got caught out a couple of years ago.  I had to stand up in the car, fish around for the right change then get back in the seat to get through the barrier before it closed again and only then could I belt back up and get on my way.  It caused much entertainment for the French drivers following me!! 

Some good points there, and I can see that I’ll need a half-hood and a toll thingy. Not sure which half-hood mind, as I’ve no idea what type of roll bar my car has. I’ll upload a photo sometime and hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Weather wise, if it’s not going to be dry and sunny I’ll not take the Westy. Like us all, I’ve better bad-weather options.

I’m thinking the way out sounds like fun. But the way back, with a hangover, after several days of partying in St Trop, might be a hard slog. Might need to look at a train option for the return leg!

We’d need to see a decent picture to be sure, but I “think” from the pics I’ve seen, your car probably has what’s known as the RAC Roll bar, Ewan.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave. I’ve now found an old thread discussing the differences, and I agree that mine is an RAC one. It has only one cross brace, plus rose jointed back supports. And it fits a full hood/cover. Plus it’s been on the car since before a Westfield even offered the track compliant version with double cross braces, no rose joints and thicker tubing.

As I won’t be racing my car, and just using it for fun touring, I think I’ll stick with the RAC version. 

• Like 1