The North Coast 500

LukeW

With the rest of this year looking like a write off in terms of holiday abroad I’ve been thinking about chucking a tent in the westie and heading to the NC500.

My plan is to spend 5-7 days doing the route, I have read up on some parts of it, but just looking for anymore info specially related to doing it in the westie. 

So shout up any of you locals or any of you that have done it and have experience, I’m all ears! 

Thanks

Assynt area and NW, some great extra coastal loops if time.

• Like 1

This is my own personal viewpoint. If I was going I would ignore the East Coast. I would spend my time and money on the west coast, and Skye.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup) said:

This is my own personal viewpoint. If I was going I would ignore the East Coast. I would spend my time and money on the west coast, and Skye.

North coast can be pretty spectacular. But yes, west coast and Skye are lovely. Skye in particular is pretty jaw-droppingly spectacular in places. 

• Like 2

I agree to a certain extent in that the roads are better on the West but when I did it I wanted to do the full NC500 and do Dunrobin Castle, Walligoe steps,  John O Groats. Did all that in a day first (so doing the trip / route in reverse) and then spend longer on the next stages which are better driving roads. Also when starting from Inverness and going on the back road around the Moray Firth don’t divert off at Muir of Ord but keep on going through Dingwall and even take the back road to Evanton and over Struie and come out at Tain (Glenmorangie). That way the road is a lot more interesting.

75A82D38-1701-420A-91E5-EB1B12D6A4B3.jpeg

82940DEF-A6A6-4ACC-92D1-708547A80142.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nc 500 is brilliant, did it last year and got the weather spot on, used my l200 , should of had the westy, one point I would make is plan your journey fuel stops with a small tank could be tricky , and as much fun as it may seam keep speed down and to your own side of the road I was lucky to be in a pick up and could see the donuts in campers and flyers coming stay safe 

2E262B35-63A0-42EE-B609-ED80092F85FB.jpeg

F4264ACD-7C85-4467-B3B5-F8528E3DF551.jpeg

5DA1A45D-A586-4884-A968-4B7AE4623599.jpeg

331A5F8A-EDFE-47FE-8ED3-98F80F60476F.jpeg

FCB6E6F0-8BD7-40B1-A1C6-2FB468B9FF96.jpeg

81A5E191-12D8-4C2D-A32D-07FBE2FFF7F2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow good mileage ! and not jealous at all :yes:looking forward to updates of your adventures :cool:

Fantastic trip!

Looks like a great start - keep the pictures and updates coming.

Already looking forward to more pictures.

I love the drive around Loch Eriboll.

Just saw you passing through Fort William. I was the idiot waving frantically at the junction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1