Walking the South West Coastal Path

Hemsley

Good morning all. I've always enjoyed walks around the coastal paths in the south west, and now that I'm living in Devon it is a great opportunity to take on the South West Coastal Path. Most often the walk is made anticlockwise, and I will probably follow that convention, starting next week, aiming for a couple of days walking.

I'd be interested to hear any tips from people who have completed sections of the path, and if anyone has experience of finding secure parking for their Westfield while doing this. It is only 1hr 15min drive for me to get up to the north coast, so I'd leave home early in the morning and return later in the afternoon, whenever I can get a bus or taxi back to the car.

I Are there some recommended guide books, or just head off with an OS map and compass?

Just keep the water to your right and you wont get lost :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Which section(s) are you planning to do?

We did St Ives to Land's End last year (2 days, bivvy overnight). It's tougher than it looks on a map, the elevation changes on this section are much greater than you'd imagine! Other than that it's beautiful, and easy to navigate.

No tips for secure parking sadly, we were in the van so just left it in a layby and got the bus back.

Wow, lucky you moving to Devon. I can't offer any advice I am afraid but hopefully someone will, let us know how you get on as it sounds like you have a great adventure in front of you. I would like to walk some or all of it in the future.

3 hours ago, AdamR said:

. It's tougher than it looks on a map,

Adam is correct.

There's many steep downs and ups to all the rivers, streams etc. Especially on North coast.

It's fantastic coastline.

I plan to start with the first 2 sections from Minehead, all being well complete the 630 miles over next couple of years. I'll post a few pictures...

• Like 5

18 hours ago, AdamR said:

It's tougher than it looks on a map, the elevation changes on this section are much greater than you'd imagine!

That's part of the problem with coastal walking lot's of ups and downs, but if you can read a map properly and understand what contour lines mean you can work out roughly how steep it's gonna be.

Good luck :t-up:

• Like 1

There are indeed lots of contour lines across the path, so I'll have to take care of my knees on the way up and down.

I'm sort of prepared, with 2p, pencil and paper in my pocket. When I was a nipper I badgered my parents to enrol me in the local Sea Scouts troop (Batchworth in Rickmansworth). It was brilliant experience for me, as I was very shy until that point. Through the cubs, scouts and ventures I learnt so much, not least how to read a map and navigate with the help of a compass in all sorts of terrain and extreme conditions.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hemsley said:

have to take care of my knees on the way up and down.

Proper walking poles can be your friend!!

I've used a set of Leki ones for many many years.

2 hours ago, Hemsley said:

Through the cubs, scouts and ventures I learnt so much, 

Aah yes those pesky venture scouts, they used to walk my little legs off :d

ventuers 2.jpg

ventures 3.jpg

ventures 4.jpg

ventures.jpg

The Ship Inn at Porlock Weir is a good “watering hole”, when it opens again. Coast path conveniently runs right past it 😉

Thanks for the tips everyone, I’ll be booking ahead for the Ship Inn.

An update - started yesterday with the first section and it was a great day out with Amanda and our dog Pixie. The weather was perfect for us, good visibility, warm but cloudy with a few sunny spells.

We parked at Porlock Weir by the Ship Inn, with a pre-booked taxi waiting to take us back to the start at Minehead. There is a fairly steep section at the start as you ascend through broadleaf woods up to North Hill. We chose to take the higher path over the top, rather than the more rugged route which is a bit more strenuous. There are superb views along the coast and across the Bristol Channel to Wales. We had the path mostly to ourselves for the morning, a few more people out and about when we dropped down to Bossington and Porlock in the afternoon.

Thoroughly enjoyed our sandwiches and a Pint of Exmoor Ale when we arrived back at the Ship Inn.  There was a steady turn-over of visitors on the tables outside the pub but no queue, and everyone was being careful to keep their distance.

We're very fortunate to have such a superb coastline in the UK. Will start thinking about our next walk.

IMG_0697mdh.jpg

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_3856mdh.jpg

IMG_5944mdh.jpg

• Like 4

Nice write up but what about the attractive walking partner.

You're right Geoff, my wonderful wife. The walk would have been the same number of steps without her, the views just as far, but nothing like as enjoyable.

• Like 1