MP3

felters

I bought the wife a 40Gb iPod for Xmas (not long till it's mine) and I'm well impressed with it. Only problem is recording the albums onto the PC. I reckon we have about 350 and I'm about half way through them at present. I have just switched to AAC file on the basis of one of the above posts but to be honest, unless your going to burn CDs from the MP3's, you are unlikely to hear the difference unless you are a real audiophile.

There are loads of 3rd party extras and I have just ordered a boostaroo (autralian, could you guess) which is an external amp and 3 way jack plug splitter, so you can turn up the volume and save iPod battery power (from Mann electronics GB Ltd). I was also considering an FM transmitter so that you can tune into your iPod in the car (technically illegal in this country). Just think, no more Shoite radio on the way to work and the possibility of interfering with the ****** in fronts pacemaker who is driving at 30 during the rush hour :-)

Anyway back to the CD importing. I reckoned that a 40Gb iPod could get around 500 CDs on it at the high quality setting.

Stu

Being an Apple person, I've got the iPod & (of course) I think it's brilliant! :D

I've got one of the original 5Gb versions, which lets me store approx 70 CDs worth of music. I've had the thing for over 2 years now and I'll probably change it for one of the 40 Gb versions shortly.

Although it uses a Hard Disk, it also has 32Mb of RAM. When you're playing back music, it plays it back from RAM and only accesses the HDD to top up the RAM. Working this way it minimises the potential for damaging the HDD if you jolt/drop the unit but it also helps to maximise the battery life. The down side is that if you're the type of person that likes to skip between tracks, rather than listen to a whole album, then that is going to eat up the battery life.

My one is only the size of a pack of cards, the newer 40Gb ones are thinner and the ones recently launched are even smaller still!!!!

The other things that I like about the iPod is that it can sync with outlook so you can use it to carry your contact info as well as your diary.

Oh... and like all Apple products, it's a doddle to use.... :D

Mark.

you shoult be able to plug the ipod into the car stereo, just run an rca to phono cable from the cd changer in socket on the back to the ipod and you can play stuff through that.

I'm just wondering how i'm going to hear anything once i've got the car built :D  :D  :D

Scruffy

*ugger. Now much better informed but none the wiser...

You're dealing with someone who has a Defender as his daily driver (part of the deal when I bought it was that they upgraded the radio to include a cassette player), and my wife refers to her Roberts radio in the kitchen as a wireless. Colour TV is a recently realised ambition...

I think NetMD may be my answer as I want to use it whilst sking and the battery life on the other stuff looks way too short for a full days use.

Thanks anyway...

(walks away scratching head...) :down:

If battery life is your primary concern, I would get a solid state MP3 player. No moving parts equals monster battery life. I have one of the early ones with 128 Mb internal RAM and the ability to take 256Mb flash cards, so that you can at least carry a few changes of mood music with you if you want. You need a PC to handle the music uploads and conversion to MP3. It runs on one AA battery and will last for 12 hours. They are quite cheap these days too.

Stu

Don't worry Felters, I also have a Defender as a daily driver..... It's also got a kick @rse sound system in it to drown out the road & engine noise. :D

I also use my iPod skiing and find that it's more than capable of coping with a full day. Just remember to re-charge it when you get back to the appartment ready for the next day. IMHO the iPod would be better than a solid state system as you don't have to fiddle around changing the memory cards over.....

The easy way to play stuff from the iPod in the car is to get something called the "iTrip" from Alta Technology. It plugs into the top of the iPod and effectively broadcasts the music on a very low power FM signal which you then just tune your radio into. It costs approx £35. Alta also do an RCA cable, 12v power supplies and dashboard stands for the iPod.

HTH

Mark.

Sony MZ-N710 is the boy to go for.

Around 160 quid, it's got a little plug in AA batery adapter thingy too.

Software is slightly naff but still very usable.