FUNBALL RALLY

litcoat

Alright all, came across this today and am seriously tempted, has anyone been on this trip with this company.

Cheers Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Route looks fun, but that's a lot of money imho. Road tripping can be done a lot cheaper than that, and honestly, some of the best roads I found around Europe weren't the "legendary" sections. They were just random roads we found just by picking the most winding route to our destination on the satnav. The popular drivers roads are end up with lots of traffic, and in my experience you often end up behind some muppet in a really expensive car that is convinced his car must be faster than yours so he won't let you past. Others may have a different experience on this, but I found that even in September/October rather than the peak summer months. Those roads are still worth doing, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't pay £2k+ for the privilege. 

I'd agree with the above. I did it in 2017, and whilst it was possible to drive some roads I hadn't previously done myself (Grimsel, Furka, Oberalp and Julier) it didn't really add anything to what I could have found by using my own initiative, or had driven a few times in the past (Rheims circuit, Stelvio).  It did add some fun events such as a toboggan run at Chur, and the hotels were nice, but I agree it could be done more cheaply and not be tied to a schedule. I also found, as always, that Venice is a rip off. At least it allowed me to go my own way afterwards up to the Dolomites and Grossglockner...MUCH better roads than the Funball... My advice, having done quite a few trips, is that Funball is good if you're a beginner, if expensive, but it's better to plan your own routes, and use your satnav to find hotels each day.

One tip..avoid August too, as all Italians have holidays and are on the roads. Early September is best...all Europeans have gone home, roads are relatively empty, it's too early for the skiing fraternity, and the weather is still likely to be good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I've booked the rally as I've always wanted to do a decent road trip but I knew if I left it to myself it would never happen, I'm a workaholic seven days a week, this gives me something to look forward to. I wonder which car would be best for the job

Cheers Mark