Twin Engine Kwak Vs Single Busa

milhouse

Seems to me that the twin Kwak engined Westie isnt much quicker than the single engined Megabusa, but I would imagine more effort (twice as much ) to maintain ?

:durr:

Is this correct or not ?  Opinions would be greatly recieved.

Last year at Elvington, a twin BEC was just a bit quicker than me down the striaghts, but really lost out in the corners  :D  :D  :D

so what is the point of two engines ?

If you have to ask, you'll never get it.. :D

Last year at Elvington, a twin BEC was just a bit quicker than me down the striaghts, but really lost out in the corners

Was that down to the car or the driver though Nick??  ???:)

But surely, apart from being able to say "Wahey look at me "im Mr two engines"....but can only go marginally quicker than that standard Megabusa over there...???

I see your point.

But if you blow a busa engine the cost will be more to replace it.

However, i should imaging your not saving as there is the initial outlay of tall the extras (pipe work, fabrication and so on)

So id say long term its a cheaper option for some people, if you thrash the nuts off it (witch i would if i had a twin engine car), you would regard the engine as semi disposable, and not be worried if one went pop, as you could pick one up fro under a grand.

But in terms of performance, as you stated, there aint much in it, and cost wise there don’t seem to be that much difference there either.

Me..i prefer handling first, then power…but each to their own.

How much do Busa angines go for then ?  

Do they go pop... ?

Seems that with a Busa u get almost all the speed of the twin engine car, but with the added bonus of superior handling.

If u jus wanna go fast in a straight line (the american way) then prehaps a twin engine is the way forward, (but only by a few fractions of a second eh ! lol) ;)

Right. In my experience the twin is significantly quicker down straights than a standard busa engined car - be that a westfield or a 250spec radical. There is no reason why it shouldnt handle as well as any other westy.

In terms of my own car (and I'm not sure if that was what Nick was referring to earlier) it has been through a number of suspension changes. It has been at Elvington with standard everything (when it wouldn't go round a corner no matter what you did), again with widetrack and ARB's on road tyres (when it was like a different car), and again with colway tyres on (another improvement).

My own reasons for converting to twin engines are outlined on my website, but basically the costs were similar to fitting an up-specced car engine with 250-300bhp and the engines remain completely standard - therefore, as Catflap pointed out, costs if/when things go pop are a lot less. (these engines still only cost iro £500). It also has the advantage of being a bit different, which, personally, counts for a lot. Sure I could have put an XE (or similar) in the car and tuned it up, but in reality where is the challenge in that when all the bits are available off the shelf to bolt straight on?

Trackdays are not a valid comparison of car performance unless the cars are being driven by the same driver, and they have been setup to his/her personal tastes.

Seems that with a Busa u get almost all the speed of the twin engine car, but with the added bonus of superior handling.

Please, explain to me why you think a single engine car will handle in a "superior" way to a twin engined car.. :)

Seems that with a Busa u get almost all the speed of the twin engine car, but with the added bonus of superior handling

Based on what? Nick's example is hardly definitive, as there are lots of variables involved, driver skill being the most obvious.....

Do they go pop... ?

Sometimes, but then, anything driven hard on a track will, at some point. 'Busa's on sticky tyres and a dry track almost definitely *need* a dry sump system to prevent this. The dry sump system costs more than a second engine, at least as far as initial layout goes........

I won't be convinced about bike engines until they start taking class records on the hills and sprints, in clases where they run against similarly specced CEC's, or when they win races like the JCC.......

David Jones first entered a twin engined kwak powered pre-lit Westfield into competition a few years - it was bl**** seriously quick  ;)  both in a straight line and around corners  ;)  :D  often made the top 12 run-off when at the Sprint Leaders  ;) . Up against some big single seaters costing far more

Handling was quite well sorted and David sure knew how to pedal the car  ;)  :D  ;)

At Ty Croes an engine went bang on the Saturday - he cleaned it down of all the oily crud and loose metal bits - disconnected it and ran on one engine for the Sunday event  ;)  ;)  :D

Milhouse, would be worth your time to take a closer look at things and set-up of track cars  :D  ;) don't give all the credit to power and engine - 50% if not more is down to driver ability  ;)  :D  ;)

Or you could turbo a cheap as chips blade (or ZX9 or R1) .... all the power (well nearly on the one hand and more on the other) but not all the weight (of either a Busa or TE jobbie)... But then, for all I know, my one will go pop on the first blat.... :D

JC