Snetterton sprint

Terry Everall

This is a communication I received today and would benefit from your comments. At the moment I have no idea what actions B19 are putting in place to address social distancing as well as driver safety should things go wrong on track. This is the weekend before the  Blyton event which we have cancelled for a variety of reasons including our perception of driver, marshals, organisers safety etc. I will now contact B19 to see what changes they are making to ensure the above. At the moment it is fair to say that the Covid 19 situation is not good and that the SSOT believe its too early to start sprinting or hillclimbing.

Hi All,

Hope you are all keeping well in these difficult times. 

Because there is a strong possibility that Motorsport might be allowed to resume in a modified form starting in July and we have Snetterton and Lydden early on in the month  plus Hethel on the first Weekend in August it would be useful to have your thoughts, and also on whether you think your Championship contenders would enter assuming we can get Officials/ Marshals etc, because they tend to be in the more at risk category.  

Also there  is a link  below to the B19 Website with a poll about Snetterton and Lydden, so it would be a great help if you could send this out to your respective Championship Contenders to get their input.

http://www.borough19motorclub.org.uk/poll/

Best regards

John

well im going 

• Like 1

As a B19 member I said I may go but being in the "older" age group, perhaps a bit more information exactly how they intended to

comply with the guidance would be helpful.

After talking to B19 I think that they are trying to work out how they can comply with the Motorsport UK guidelines. Paddock space will obviously be an issue as will the start line ( marshals cant touch the cars) for cars with no reverse or handbrake. I would also not be happy that marshals cant touch your car or you when you have an incident on track!! Visions of injured drivers or car in the crash barrier or upside down would not be good. They are also working out who needs PPE etc

I am not going !

• Like 1

having done start line duty at different sprints for five years plus, in the past. I've no idea at all how the MSA requirments in the document published this week will work.

Even with cars with reverse gears, the amount a vehicle needs to move to get the beam on the front of the blade is tiny, and it doesnt take much to end up with it on the back edge of the blade, which is a fault.

Start line, couple of chocks on sticks, job done.

image.png.2f6f68a40e809f864e83218d9a6779bb.png

But at some point folk are going to have to take a risk with their health if a sort of normal life is to be resumed.

In the initial phase drivers will need to drive within themselves and enjoy their new found freedom.

Richard  the Motorsport UK document specifies that the start line marshal will give visible instruction about the cars position. No mention of ability to use chocks which in my experience can hold a car I position but not move it . Lets hope this Virus stops infecting and killing people and then we can get back on track. Just as an observation most competitive drivers dont "drive within themselves " except maybe in practice. We are out there to win or do our best possible time and are often on the ragged edge ....and thats the adrenalin buzz we need.

At Vscc Prescott the chock man is key to fine forward adjustment of the car. Even I can manage it! So if it can be done going forward it must be possible to do it backwards too. At Shelsley the chock man is even more important as the start is steeper. 

Well we all failed when attempting to use the supplied choc at several events I’ve done, for car alignment, though it was fine for holding it.

But that is not what the Motorsport UK are advising in the agreed methodology and policy document.

• Thanks 1

Start line marshalls with a chock work on up hill starts (e.g. Shelsley and Prescott). They do not work on level starts (e.g. sprints and Harewood) or down hill starts (e.g. Gurston, Loton).

• Like 1

Also at the moment there is no overnight camping/motorhome etc and no B&Bs

To drive in a sprint at anything less than the ability of the car/driver combination would be a nonsense. If you simply want to drive quickly on a track you might be better off doing trackdays where normally you get much more track time. The whole point of doing sprints (or hillclimbs) is to drive as quickly as you/your car are able to do, and try and beat your nearest competitiors. Like Terry says, without that where is the adrenaline rush? It would be pointless.

• Like 2

well looks like its going ahead plenty of interest from others . watch this space

I understand that B19 have some issues to resolve before it can proceed. I will keep you informed as soon as I hear anything more as I am in regular contact with the club