Momo Team, or alternative, steering wheel size

Burgerbob

The thread on the steering wheel boss has made me realise that my steering wheel (I believe the original IVA one from 2005) is ugly!  So, I'm thinking of an upgrade and I have two questions....

1. 300mm or 280mm.  Current wheel is 300mm and whilst I've never sat in the car and thought it was too big, is a smaller wheel better to drive with?
  2. My preferred wheel is the Momo Team costing £160ish or so from eBay.  Being budget conscious, is it worth £100 or so more than the leather 300mm Mountney M Range or the 280mm Spingalex wheel?  Does anyone have experience of any of these wheels to comment?

Thanks all.  Initial plan is to buy a boss like this, future plans may be to go quick release and perhaps even add a 4 channel FREEwheel system.

If yore going to use Ebay be aware that there are lots of fake momo wheels out there.....

• Like 1

A genuine Momo team is a much better quality wheel than either of the other two. The “SpringAlex” looks particularly rubbish :)

300 or 280 wont make much difference really, the smaller wheel will make the steering slightly heavier and you might not be able to see your dials anymore. 

I have a genuine Momo Team - can’t recall if it’s 280 or 300mm but it is quite heavy and “feels” like a real quality item.  

If it’s £160 then it’s a fake. 

I do find that some gloves don’t have a great deal of grip, but no plans to change it because if that. 

DD96816A-F014-4A75-984A-BCD1F91E3357.jpeg

Do a GIS for fake Momo steering wheels and you’ll see photos to counterfeit ones that have snapped off in driver’s hands mid-drive. Then order a real Momo.  There’s certain things it’s not worth economising on and that’s a big one.

@Burgerbob wait for one of the offers from @Westfield Parts Dept. The Momo wheel can be bought from them without the boss kit (so it’s cheaper than the web price) and grab a quick release column off of them too at the same time. 

5676732F-6266-4780-8700-A48E058DB94C.thumb.jpeg.2b40b1cf0bdcb0ca2a6857ab72f48e07.jpeg

it’s a lovely bit of kit

• Like 2

I have reasonably fitted the Momo formula Mod 26 290mm wheel and QR. Supplied by Luke at Plays-Kool. Really pleased with it and the service provided by Luke. Take a look at my build diary for some pictures.

1 hour ago, wizzer said:

20200129_191548.thumb.jpg.ab2b8b1e0eb625f4a265bad7d5165a8f.jpg

Tony

that wheel just looks great

Thanks all! I didn't realise about the fakes, certainly a part you don't want failing.

Any thoughts on the size?  Current wheel at 300mm seems fine and hence the safe buy, but for the people who have gone smaller do they prefer them?

As I said in my post. Mine is 290mm and is excellent.

C9C8D81E-7DA7-4D8A-988B-B669841EDC7E.jpeg

B7DABD39-7616-479F-8D1F-3B2FE9AB8C3F.jpeg

It could be worth waiting for an ebay code as demon tweeks is often included in these promotions and you can buy from the ebay shop. They do tend to come up at the end of the month. 

IMG-20180502-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.aa46375b03543cb52747b144b6a3c07e.jpegI have a momo formula 26 at 290mm.

I've had cheaper wheels and they are OK. But when you get a quality one it just feels right.😀

I also went for a momo mod 26 in 290mm and have been very please with it, I got my from playskool and they drilled it to the fitting I wanted.