• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

towing a westie - dolly?

martinr

I'm taking ownership of my new westie in a week and was wondering about towing options - can westies be towed on dollies? The type that lifts the front off the ground.

This would be better for storage as i cant store a full trailer and i could use it on my other track car  :)

Thanks for any help - first time post :)

Martin

Is this for picking the car up, or a more long term solution?

I think a dolly would be Ok as long as you don't lift the front up too far. Also, there are trailers that will fit into a standard garage, which might be another option (Brian James Minno is the one I think).

If it's just to pick the car up, why not drive it? :)

Andy

Its for going to track days etc as well.

Didnt want the traiter in the garage as the car would have to come off and on in the summer when you want to go for a quick local run - got some great roads up here. :) Also make working on the car a pic as i plan to cuddle and stroke it a lot :D

will have to jack the car when i get it and see the clearence etc but was also wondering about stress as the suspension will be at wrong angles. Just it is the easy option.

still anymore info on traiers that fit in garages might be needed.

haha just read that - I got some typing issues too LOL :laugh:

The 'edit' button on each of your posts is your friend :)

As for track days, I've done a couple so far, and drove the Westy to both. Admittedly, it'd be easier in a way to trailer it (somewhere to store all the tools etc. I took with me) but it's doable in the Westy (assuming the track isn't too far of course! ).

I wouldn't have thought having the car on the trailer in the garage would be too much of a hardship. As long as the trailer was in front first, it'd just be a matter of driving the car on and off each time you use it.

So, what car have you got? Whereabouts are you based? Oh, and you will be joining the club I trust? :D

Welcome aboard.

Andy

haha let me recieve the car first then I will join the club :D

Its a sei with vaux 16v. hopefully arriving on wednesday :)

The box is a straight cut quaife job with 5th running out at 120mph @ 7700rpm so a long drive to knockhill might hurt my hearing slightly LOL

I am living in Banchory with is near aberdeen - lots of amazing small roads. Once used to the car I hope to get into sprinting and hill climbing nearer the end of the year or start of next :)

Martin

There has been a thread recently on this subject, might be worth you doing a search.

I believe there are some legal issues with using a dolly for general use and i am fairly sure it is to do with the braking of the wheels that are on the road surface, i.e two of the car wheels will be on the road but would not be braked.

hope this makes sense :D

thanks - did search and looks like dolly is out as i aint risking insurance and the cossie is a fat bas! so deffo not legal :(

right - last question ;) what is currently the cheapest best option trailer and what sort of prices are they - the minno looks good but no prices on site.

Martin

Take a look back through the older ads in the for sale section, I think there's been a few on there. I think they're about 1500 quid new.

Andy

cheers for ball park - thats a lot of money for a little trailer! :laugh:  

will wait for car to arrive before wasting peoples time on getting a trailer :)

Martin

I know someone who used an A frame set up and it fatigued his front wishbones, one of which failed whilst he was braking when driving it.

Dollies & A frames are not much good for getting your car home after a mechanical failure, which he found out as a result of the above & had to borrow a trailer to get it home.

I guess they are a cheap alternative to a trailer but if you have the money or someone else to share the costs with, go for the trailer