Steering Wheel *SOLD*

Paul T

Raid 300mm steering wheel with custom WF logo centre.

6 x 74mm PCD, in excellent condition.

£65 posted

C6FDC203-FB2B-4E62-B134-28C4867D7103.thumb.jpeg.31f2892caabe9053d75b4d709d6636a7.jpeg

DD505D4C-C34E-4826-9F5C-6E84C54D6A63.thumb.jpeg.b391ea0f13c17a7a762333874bd39dc5.jpeg

8ECF1997-D1B6-49D9-A019-A945711EE477.thumb.jpeg.de951aa34494e155d735b4a24552cf8b.jpeg

I have no idea mate sorry, I’ve seen people in the past stick crash pads on to similar wheels for IVA test but I’m no expert so best to check with someone who is up to speed with all that stuff.

There are two elements to the Steering wheel assembly the factory supplies for IVA purposes.

The wheel itself, which gains compliance through the use of a heavIly padded crash-pad that completely covers the  spokes as viewed from the driving seat. And the collapsible boss that it mounts on, to attach it to the steering column.

The Westfield standard steering columns (Ie non SDV columns) are not collapsible in the IVA sense of the word. The standard steering wheel boss is collapsible.

The factory arrangement has gone through crash testing and limited type approval on several occasions. So, has been satisfactorily proved fit for purpose, should an IVA inspector query it.

One other thing to be aware of, generally known as the law of unintended consequences! The standard dashboard layout, is designed around a standard wheel, with a standard diameter. There is an exclusion zone on the dash, slightly larger than this diameter, in which nothing gets tested for too sharp radii. If you changed the steering wheel to a much smaller wheel, be very careful you don’t also inadvertently shrink the exclusion zone to the point where switches gear that cannot pass the radii test is suddenly out of the zone and able to be checked!

Experienced, decent, IVA Inspectors tend to know Westfields well, and know what basically passes if assembled properly. Including the standard wheel arrangement.

The minute you start going off-piste with the build, be prepared for the inspector to start looking that extra bit more carefully at what you’ve done. There’s no issue with making your own solutions, but be aware you’re your own back up in that case, and your own tech support; it’s down to you to prove something is sufficient, and if you can’t, it’s down to you, to put it right.

In the case of the steering wheel, it’s also why there are often wheels knocking around that have been through numerous IVA’s, and that’s all they ever do, getting passed from person to person, after each test.

So if you like the wheel, To be safe,  I’d suggest buying it, and putting it on one side till after IVA!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The wheel itself, which gains compliance through the use of a heavIly padded crash-pad that completely covers the  spokes as viewed from the driving seat.

Not actually required I believe. As long as the spokes meet the edge radius test (2mm or greater) exposed spokes are acceptable. That is of course assuming the steering column and/or boss has a collapsible aspect to it. They're also not fans of heavily dished wheels as they're less likely to break/deflect in the case of an impact. 

I’ll have the steering wheel if it’s still available

ps does this fit the older boss? Allegro I think?

Hi Paul

Will the wheel fit the standard allegro boss.

Howard

3 hours ago, Howard Steele said:

Hi Paul

Will the wheel fit the standard allegro boss.

Howard

hi Howard, I’m not sure about the standard boss, but anyway all should fit any boss so long as the PCD is correct, this one is 74 mm, and even so you can buy spaces/adapters very cheaply on eBay if you need 👍🏻

Paul

Where did you get the Westfield logo wheel centre from ?

Howard

Paul

Thanks for the info. Did you supply the artwork or has he got the Westfield Logo artwork.

Howard

He sorted the graphic, I just specified colours and the diameter required

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.