SVA

catflap

Hay all

Can someone tell me in simple terms (I have the SVA manual and reading it is a little hard going LOL), if one was to build a car, how many parts second hand can one use? To acquire a year related number plate.

Example:

If one used all new parts, but the engine and gearbox for example were second hand? Would this be a Q or year reg.

I thought you had to have 3 major parts from one car and the v5 to get an age related plate?  Only one recon part to get a new plate?  I'm probably wrong though.

Scruffy

its not re-con, they say re-manufactured.

i queeried this with them and said if i take an engine to an engine re-manufs, they strip it, find all is ok, put it back together and give me something in writing to say it was all within manufacturers spec is this ok? surprise they said yes !!  :t-up:

so a recon engine, gearbox and diff aint gona get me a New year plate? (it would have to be NEW engine NEW gearbox and recon diff? just checking?)

have heard of them accepting engine and box as one complete thing.

think the best thing to do is ask whoever you'll be dealing with at the VRO loads of odd questions and they'll get fed up of you and just give you a new reg  :t-up:

have spoken to someone from here, cant remember who sorry, when they went to get car regd they didnt even look at recipts

How will it be harsher emmishions?,im not sure your correct there scruff.  If you use a recon pre 95 engine, surly you have to comply with pre 95 laws? (the westy i have at moment has a pre 95 engine and  I have a year related plate, and i dont have to meet the emmisions of the registration year, it goes by pre 95 tests (actualy my mot center just looks for smoke, but im sure they are more interested in teh car than mot`ing it ;) )

I think if you register it as a new car then it counts as a new car and therefore has to comply with new car laws?  Perhaps because the engine has to be re-built to as new or actually new to get a new plate it is equivalent to an engine built in 2004 and so undergoes the same tests as a brand new engine?  

Q plate is a visible smoke only whatever engine year and age related should be age of engine?

Thats what i seem to remember from chatting to dax and on here, but i don't know for sure, best bet is to ask the dvla or someone else suitable - westfield perhaps?  I may be wrong and all kit cars are visible smoke only?

Scruffy