Laptop

chazpowerslide

A collegue of mine is looking to buy a laptop with a maximum budget of £600.

She would prefer a machine with a name she recognises (HP, Dell, Compaq, Toshiba ect, preferably pre-loaded with it's opperating system (she has experiance with Windows XP)

She would like CD re-write capability but is not botherd about playing DVDs (but if DVD capability is doable within the budget she would obviously no say no to it)

We've looked around the usual suspects in the high street (and retail parks) and she's about £150 out on budget for what she wants.

Do you guys know of any reputable dealers on the net where she stands a chance of getting a decent spec machine for what she has to spend?

TIA

Chaz.

Talk to the boys at Mikrolive Mikrolive they don't have the laptops on the website, but they will send you a list of what is currently available by email... You'll be shocked - £600 is a good budget.

...©

Careful chaps. The warranty costs on notebooks are much higher than for desktops. They go wrong more often and cost more to fix when they do. That's why a unit from a big player with a goldplated warranty costs so much. Just look at Dell's site... to upgrade from 1 to 3 years warranty on a desktop is £39. It's a £150 on a notebook.

Good luck - and buy on value not price...

ebuyer just posted a 500 quid laptop that does what laptops do.. without all the bells and whistles that is!

Just my 2p...

Unless it is money you can afford to lose, never buy a second hand laptop. They come in for a lot of abuse and if you do find a problem with it a few days down the line you'll probably have nowhere to go.

Also got to say that if she has looked in the high street (generally low quality) and can't find what she wants for her budget, then she'll probably be hard pressed to find one from one of the "Names". With a laptop, quality is everything and you do get what you pay for.

Cheers

Andy

Edited to say that I've just got a flyer in the paper from Dell and they might have what you're looking for  ;)

watch out with Microlive.

bought a lap top from them for the wife a few months ago, even asked them if there would be a problem returning it if it was to big for her.

they said "no".

i say "bunch of lying b####rds"  :bangshead:

took about a month to get a refund from them.  :arse:  this was after waiting for about six weeks for them to get one sorted for me.

cant knock them on price though. RRP £1545 their price £1050 inc deliverey.

go to www.eaf.co.uk, I have said this before but I was an IT Broker for a year and used these guys on a daily basis. They supply dell refurbished units and they come with 1yr comprehensive collect and return warranty. The units are in superb condition and you will get a good spec machine for that budget. I think I have an oldish stock list from July, I know its well out of date but it will give you an idea of what you will get for your money... email me on abarrow@axial.co.uk if you want me to mail it to you..

Cheers

Ant

A refurbished laptop could be what you friend needs, should come with 6-12 month warranty.  Try a Google on 'refurbished laptop' this will throw up a selection.

Refurbished laptops are ones which have been rejected along the QA route and been fixed by the manuf.  Should be 'as new' but cannot be sold as such, good value can be had :t-up:

Thanks for the help, EAF seem to be a pretty sound bunch, I called them today and my collegue can get a good machine for her budget.

The warrenty is good too.

:D

Chaz.

Yeah, they are good, unlike most, they even warrant the battery which most refurbished laptop dealers refuse to warrant, or will just give you a DOA warranty. You will also get a nice dell bag!!  :t-up:

Good Luck!