• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Typical Newbie questions..tut, tut

Dragstar

Hi guys! just found this great site!

ive decided to buy a Westy, and have a few questions:

1) im "mainly" buying it, to get used to taking engines apart and rebuliding.repairing them. Therefore im budgeting for one at about 5k. Is this too low? i dont mind one which needs a little work, but would this be a nightmare?

2) i know i'd be looking at a 1991/2 model, what type of engine? x-flows are better than CVHs apparently, why is this so?

3) how will it compare to my 111s?

Cheers for any answers :)  and i hope to join soon, but cant afford one until i finish my Uni course in the summer!

im just getting excited (like we all do, its ****** embarrasing) and need answers :D  :D

Disclaimer : i've had too much steve d juice (stella)

ohh dear.

Erm. sorry

I'm at uni too, and have just got interested in cars myself.  I started by servicing my own car and then moved onto other peoples cars :D:D:D .  The best thing i can think of right now is not to by a westy (or any 7/ kit car) to take apart.  What i would reccomend is that if you've been driving normal cars up to this point, any 7 will feel amazing.  If you want to practice building engines i would suggest getting a westy in a mild state of tune and drive it around, while re-building / tuning a new engine for the car.  So you'd get a westy you liked and then buy a scrappy engine of the same type and re-build that, once you feel satisfied the scrappy engine is "as new" or better, then transpant it into the westy :t-up:.  What i would suggest is thinking about building one from scratch, although it may not be cheaper in the long run, you would learn more.  However, our union bar is rubbish, which compelled me to drink more than the reccomended weekly allowance would reccomend.  and therfore my opinions are just that, opinions of a drunkard.

ohh dear....

Scruffy (the p********)

1) im "mainly" buying it, to get used to taking engines apart and rebuliding.repairing them.

Obviously don't buy a Toyota engined car... a Xflow should meet your needs nicely :devil:

2) i know i'd be looking at a 1991/2 model, what type of engine? x-flows are better than CVHs apparently, why is this so?

Because thats the way that god intended the pecking order to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragstar.

This sounds a sound idea to me  :D  :D  :D  :D

5k sould see you with a x-flow car that would fit your needs very well.

I know you say that you are waiting for the dosh but if you have a look in the cars for sale section you can see the varing prices of a x-flow car versus the spec.

HTH

Rob.

Cheers guys!

perhaps i wasnt clear enough. i dont want to actually take one to "rebulid" but sort out a few problems that exist and possibly rebuild some elements (when needs be).

anyway, sound advice guys! ill start to save and when im in a position to buy, ill get back to you lot with more questions!

I may pop to the Manchester meet, if that would be ok? or would i be spat on :down:  :D

i will join up then aswell, and hope to see your beasts in the flesh sometime!

thanks again!

I may pop to the Manchester meet, if that would be ok? or would i be spat on :down:  :D

i will join up then aswell, and hope to see your beasts in the flesh sometime!

No reason not to join up now. At least then you can go to the local meets with a 'clear conscience' :)

Welcome aboard, and good luck finding the car.

Andy

x-flows are better than CVHs

Not true..they are both good engines.  The CVH is more modern and can be more reliable than the x-flow.  It's light, compact, can be up-graded, easy to work on and parts are two a penny.

Mark Stanton the WSCC chairman has a CVH....he'll be along soon to tell you about his 148bhp :p

Don't discount the CVH over an x-flow they both have plenty going for them....unless you can afford a Vx that is

:oops:

Cheers guys for all your comments!

i will have to look more into this and yes, i will probably join before i get one :)

BTW, is there any mags i should buy/keep an eye out for?

any more comments on anything to do with starting out appreciated!

thanks for the warm welcome! :love:

Disclaimer : i've had too much steve d juice (stella)

ohh dear.

Erm. sorry

I'm at uni too, and have just got interested in cars myself.  I started by servicing my own car and then moved onto other peoples cars :D:D:D .  The best thing i can think of right now is not to by a westy (or any 7/ kit car) to take apart.  What i would reccomend is that if you've been driving normal cars up to this point, any 7 will feel amazing.  If you want to practice building engines i would suggest getting a westy in a mild state of tune and drive it around, while re-building / tuning a new engine for the car.  So you'd get a westy you liked and then buy a scrappy engine of the same type and re-build that, once you feel satisfied the scrappy engine is "as new" or better, then transpant it into the westy :t-up:.  What i would suggest is thinking about building one from scratch, although it may not be cheaper in the long run, you would learn more.  However, our union bar is rubbish, which compelled me to drink more than the reccomended weekly allowance would reccomend.  and therfore my opinions are just that, opinions of a drunkard.

ohh dear....

Scruffy (the p********)

I thought you guys were at Uni to study the meaning of life and not to p*** about with engines while getting p********........you will do well lads(A Desmond at least) :devil:

There's a few cars within your budget in the For Sale section, plus the WW Mag has the V8 needing work. Also look at Findit and Pistonheads.

Im purchasing my first Westfield a week today (18th) a X-Flow for just over £5K, (i cant wait) yet ive been a WSCC member for nearly 6 months now.

Get yourself joined up, you'll receive our excellent Westfield World Magazine which will give you advise etc.

HTH.

:cool:

excellent!

i will do when i can get to a printer to print the form off!

yep, im keeping an eye on the classifieds and am already a member of Pistonheads (you can find me terrorising the elise forum :D )

cheers for the help guys!

Unlike Mr Stanton himself of course

I'm hurt  :devil:  :down:  :devil:  :D  Ya bl**** lightweight  :D  :devil:  :D

Good luck with your purchase Dragstar - Yep X-Flow and CVH are both good engines to start with, for general road and track use - plenty of parts available for em without having to increase the overdraft (toooo much)  :D  ;)