Front brake pads

K17 CAR

During the winter fettle I've decided it's time to try new front pads, anyone care to share what they feel is the best pad for sprints/hill Climbs? 

Ive the 7600 AP calipers fitted currently with the Westfield supplied ferodo pads.

im sure someone more in the know than me will be along but for quick warm up off the line i use 1144 mintex and seem to work quite well

What's wrong with / you don't like about the current pads that makes you want to change them?

They stop when I press the pedal, however there 3/4 worn so thought I would treat her to a new set, wondered if there was some magic pad out there that work better from cold, not that these are bad, some price tags on pads made my eyes pop out, Pagid for example

Pagid worth the extra. Miles better than mintex. Others out there also but def worth spending more. I used to go through 3 times as many mintex as pagid. Now on an ap pad.

16 minutes ago, Arm said:

Pagid worth the extra. Miles better than mintex. Others out there also but def worth spending more. I used to go through 3 times as many mintex as pagid. Now on an ap pad.

Road legal Pagids, Ash? Think John's in road going so 1144 might be one of the only options. I got on well with them myself, not felt the need to use anything else.

You must be braking harder than me as I've never worn a set out, just replaced due to being oooooooold.

The Mintex 1144 are great at stopping the Westfield but I do find that after a couple of seasons they start to crazed crack  a bit

1144 glazed and got wooden when used hard. Night and day difference when swapping from 1144 to the others.

The Pagid was a road legal pad. 

I’m using Wilwood Polymatrix B’s on the front, blooming awesome. 

Mind you it’s not stopping I have trouble with, it’s going faster 😜

interesting thread.

I have Willwood Powerlites and have been using Polymatrix E which have been fine but felt there was room for some improvements.

Looking at Marto's comments made have a quick look at the rally Design web site and there is some interesting graphs showing the different Polymatrix compounds if they are to be believed.

https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6597

Sorry slight thread drift and may not be any good for your calipers.

Ian

• Like 1

There are two aspects to a Pads performance I have found the first is pretty obvious Ultimate stopping power and zero fading as you stop again and again very hard. Then there is the feedback the pad gives you as a driver as you are pushing the brake pedal, does it allow you to modulate the pedal and "feel" what the brakes are doing, the best pads do this really well. 

Only when you have tried some of the really good pads do you realise how bad the others really are. I wouldn't use Mintex 1144 personally 😉

Some interesting developments on the horizon 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I know a lot of folk hate them but I've found the EBC Greens have been the best I've tried so far.

Mind I've only tried Ferrodos which didn't suit and the car only weighs 320KG.

Id like to try some Pagids or Carbon Lorraines if I can find out which compound gives the best initial bite from stone cold. 

They are an expensive mistake to make if you get it wrong.

In the Westfield I found Hawk Blacks to be better than the Mintex 1144's

Brake pad manufacturers will have temperature / friction charts for their pad compounds. Basically you want high friction at cold temperatures without the friction dropping away at higher temperatures. Typically an operating range 100 deg F to 800 deg F or higher is what you should be looking for to identify something decent

On 16/01/2020 at 18:46, IanD said:

interesting thread.

I have Willwood Powerlites and have been using Polymatrix E which have been fine but felt there was room for some improvements.

Looking at Marto's comments made have a quick look at the rally Design web site and there is some interesting graphs showing the different Polymatrix compounds if they are to be believed.

https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6597

Sorry slight thread drift and may not be any good for your calipers.

Ian

Polymatrix A look like a good pad from the graphs linked if available in your pad shape