Goodwood Festival of Speed

Mark B

Not been before & wondering is it worth paying the extra for grandstand seats, if so which one is best & what's best place to stay etc?

Cheers

:D

Mark.

:durr:

Been every year - it's a cracking day out, although it's entertainment rather than serious motorsport.

Personally I'm quite happy to wonder around and see it from various different vantage points. Not sure on the accomodation as I live fairly close by but I'd have thought that you'd pay a huge premium for staying on the estate. Probably best getting a Travelodge type room a lttle way out. Access is pretty easy if you go early.

HTH

Cheers Felters,

Think we'll take our chances with the standard tickets then (advance tickets only this year it says on their website), it's about 37 quid cheaper too for the weekend. Was thinking of travelodge/ b&b, do you know of any close to?

Always watched the festival of speed on the tv & fancied seeing it for real, even clarkson raves about it so it must be good!

Cheers, :D

Mark.

The Festival of Speed is excellent although having been several times before, I would recommend that you get seats for at least one of the days. The runs up the hill are protected by large bales of straw and then there is a dead zone between the bales and the standing areas so often all you see is the crash helmet of the drivers as they tear past :(

With seats ( even cheaper ones ) you can sit higher up and view down the run outside the House which is where the 'antics' take place ( spins and off circuit manoeuvres! ) and this is where the real action is and you just cannot really see it any other way.

If you don't want to spend the extra ( I got mine for free :cool: ) then a brilliant vantage point for 'antics' is at the very end of the run. It is a fairly long walk ( some of it through a pleasant forest ) but to see the F1 cars doing doughnuts 30 feet from you is brilliant stuff.

And finally ..... take a hat, your own water and sun tan cream - if the sun shines ( and boy did it shine last year ) you are gonna need those bits as there is zero shade except in the aforementioned forest walk.

I had a startline Granstand seat last year that was good as a base but also wandered around.  I agree that if busy difficult to see over the bails but grandstands more elevated.

Mind you given the amount of wood worm and wood worm activity in the grandstand might not be much left of the stand this year!!

David

Was thinking of travelodge/ b&b, do you know of any close to?

Try a search based on Chichester in the AA's accommodation search tool...

Cheers

Mike

I went 2 years ago on a Friday. Downside - No timed runs. Upside - Less crowd and the chance to get up real close to some fantastic motors in the pits. We walked and watched from many vantage points, including a couple of the Free grandstands.

A good day out.

Cheers

David

I went 2 years ago on a Friday. Downside - No timed runs. Upside - Less crowd and the chance to get up real close to some fantastic motors in the pits.

I can confirm that Friday is the real petrolhead day as you can get up really close to the cars in the pits, talk to the machanics ( and owners if you speak Italian of French with an aristocratic accent  :D ) and take unspoilt photographs!

I'd agree with all the comments about it being a fantastic day(s) out.

I doubt there is anywhere else in the world where you can stand six inches away from a Ferrari 512PB whilst Jackie Ickx blips the throttle to warm up the motor (which my 1 year old son slept through) or hold open the door of a Gulf GT40 while Jackie Oliver climbs in.

IMO the Goodwood Revival is even better as the racing is real and up close, the noise and smell (rubber, Castrol R, fried brakes and clutches) is incredable.

Do the whole three days of each event so you don't miss anything.

We have never had grandstand seats and with two small kids manage to see all that we want to.

Strongly recommend the Revival meeting over the festival. Apart from the smell of Castrol R (its amazing how strong olfactory memories are) and it being the biggest fancy dress party I've ever attended, the stewards can't tell the difference between a Westfield 11 and a real one so got directed to the car park for people with really interesting motors from the 50s and 60s :D  :D

The two high spots of the motorsport year. Has to be done - it's the law. Can't comment on viewing areas at the Festival as I have an unfair advantage as a marshal (that gets you scarily close to stuff doing donuts in Top Paddock - doesn't it Martin?)  :0

Try the tourist office in Arundel for local accomodation but don't delay - it gets booked up very quickly.

For getting close to things that you may never see anywhere else and talking to the gods the Festival is possibly the better.

But, for balls out racing in multimillion pound motorcars (many of which you won't see elsewhere either)while being buzzed by Spitfires,Mustangs and Kittyhawks etc, or just watching Barrie Williams drifting a Morris Minor through Woodcote with absolute precision lap after lap with a big grin on his face to standing ovations from the crowd..............Revival every time :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

If you get to the Festival give the old fart in the Silverstone overalls in Top Paddock a wave ;)

Can't comment on viewing areas at the Festival as I have an unfair advantage as a marshal (that gets you scarily close to stuff doing donuts in Top Paddock - doesn't it Martin?)  :0

Hmm It certainly does, i'm not sure my hearing will fully recover from the toasting Massa gave it last years ferrari...  :D

My advice would be go for friday and saturday. Spend friday doing all the paddocks, stands, shows, etc, and it will take ALL day, as there is some truley stunning kit to view and there will be FAR lass crowd around and then find you self a good spot for the morning runs on saturday and then scam your way into top paddock for saturday afternoon... oh that last one won't be easy, unless you know the chief marshall  :D

Ive been twice now, the last being my stag weekend.......even had a beer with JK !!

We camped on site at the horse race cource and stayed Friday night till Sunday night. Nothing much to do at night apart from drink beer round a BBQ or nip into the local town.

There isnt another venue/event you can go to where you actually walk around the paddocks of 90% of the cars, meet the drivers, smell the fumes etc. The facilities are top notch with loads to see and walk round.

Ive never had a grandstand seat, and have never had a problem with viewing. Seeing an F1 car lighting its wheels 20ft in front of you is an experiance!

Id definetly recommend it as a weekend of motorsport :D  :D  :D  :D

Thanks for the advice chaps, got on the blower to travelodge & travel inn but the nearest one to the circuit was portsmouth 17-20 miles way, rang goodwood and they do a temp campsite in the grounds during the festival of speed so will book that along with the weekends tickets (not decided on grandstand/ standard yet) but should be better. This means no travelling every day as it's walking distance and can have a beer  :)  (or two) at night.

How do I scam my way into the top paddock then? What does the chief marshall drink, martin? ;-)

Cheers,

Mark. :t-up: