HAZARD Perception Tests

Snowy

Hi all,

anyone had experience with this new Hazard Perception test that is required now as part of the theory test for a new driver. Looked at the software with my son at the weekend, and it seems very subjective to me....?

Cheers

Stu...

My son's mate is spreading the story he failed for seeing the hazards too early. Apparently the woman walking down the street with the wayward kids is only a "potential" hazard and you are only supposed to react to it when the child heads for the kerb.

Not sure if it's a sour grapes "I failed" story or what, but there may be elements of fact in it.

We'll see in a few months when "the boy" gets his turn.

David.

Yes. I had to pass it for my recent bike test.

I think it's pretty much a farce. The idea itself is great IMO. However, the reality of the test falls a long way short.

Although I managed a high score, the number of clicks you are allowed before you fail a clip is very high. I imagine there isn't a great correlation between observational skill and the pass rate. I think the best that can be said for it is that it increases the awareness of learners of the benefits of thinking about your driving environment.

You are supposed to click when you see the hazard first developing. Is that when you first a sign in the distance? Or when you see the information on the sign clearly? Or when you see the junction the sign told you about? Or when you see a car approaching the junction? Or when it starts to make an unexpected move? I clicked for them all. And there are obviously more than one potential hazard per clip. That's a lot of clicks!

David, Mike,

Ahhhhh. Suddenly, from your comments, it makes sense. Perhaps we have to imagine we are in the car, behind the wheel, and the click represents pressing the brake, or changing to another lane.

In your example, wayward kids would be spotted on the pavement, but you would not brake or avoid them at that stage, just check the mirrors and devise the action to take should it develop, hence no click... Then... when the kid steps towards the road, in real life you would brake/change lanes, and on the simulation you would click the mouse to indicate the same in virtual land.

Does that make sense???

Cheers!

Snowy-Stu...

Snowy,

Unfortunately, as I understand it, it isn't as simple as clicking when you would need to change direction/brake/accelerate.

I remember the example clip from a website I found online (I think the one I've included below). It was a dual carriageway with a service station on the LHS. The right time to click (to get the maximum 5 points) was when a car on the service station forecourt started to move off the forecourt towards the slip road. It was extremely difficult to spot it at this stage as it was mostly obscured by the petrol pricing sign.

If you waited till the car was on the slip road I think the score was about 3. If you waited till the car pulled out in front of you, you probably score 0.

If you take your example of wayward kids on the pavement I would click as soon as I spotted them in the distance. Then click any time they make a significant move towards the road and regularly thereafter as you approach them!

This webpage was all I looked at before I took the test. It explains it better than I can. And if you already have training software, then trying it is probably the best thing to do.

But I agree. It certainly feels subjective, unclear and vague. Still, at least you have a lot of clicks per clip before you fail. I was amazed at how many times you can click on a clip without being failed!???

Good luck to your son. I'm sure he'll pass fine. :cool:

M.

i passed mine on the 30th september.

failed 1st couple of times because of this damn hazard perception by 1 mark both time. got 35/35 all the time on the theory.

me think its a pot luck job.

my advice is click 3 times for each hazard with a 1 sec gap between.

see potential hazard click

hazard click

make sure uve seen hazard click

Its a nack i think. You have to click if you see a sign like "hidden entrace" and theres some DSA fag in a white van pulling out of it as soon as he spots the van they film from. not very realistic. load of crap i think.

what software does your son have?

Relax.  If he can drive the biggest problem will be with nerves (well it was with me), any idiot who knows the middle pedal is for stop and right one for go should pass fine.

Scruffy

any idiot who knows the middle pedal is for stop and right one for go

DOH !  :durr:  :durr:  :p  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :oops:

Where did I leave my coat  :D  :devil:  :D