Passenger seats for W1 & W2

Marto303

If I enter W2 this year I would intend to run with my passenger seat as it’s been for the past few years, a foam cushion on the floor and rear bulkhead and a set of 4 point harnesses as in the photo. 

I assume this is acceptable as a “ Fully Functional “ passenger seat as per 3.2 of our draft regs ? 

4BA9E66F-012D-447C-9A6F-FCCED7CA0E9C.jpeg

• Haha 1

section S --- 10.2.8. Road Cars: front seats may be replaced by fully trimmed Competition versions

interesting interpretation of fully trimmed ....

6 minutes ago, Castlecroft said:

section S --- 10.2.8. Road Cars: front seats may be replaced by fully trimmed Competition versions

interesting interpretation of fully trimmed ....

It does have more "trim" than my actual seat...

Is a kit car... the interpretation is SOOOOOO wide...

What Marto is showing is not any worst than a bench seat in a vintage westfield or lotus seven try to detail any further in this sort of cars, is making it overcomplicated... as there is not actual "stock" seats to replace...

can-of-worms-cartoon-character-vector-id

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, maurici said:

It does have more "trim" than my actual seat...

Is a kit car... the interpretation is SOOOOOO wide...

What Marto is showing is not any worst than a bench seat in a vintage westfield or lotus seven try to detail any further in this sort of cars, is making it overcomplicated... as there is not actual "stock" seats to replace...

can-of-worms-cartoon-character-vector-id

Can of worms it may well

be but, I have been running this for years in both road going and modified and it’s never been questioned by msa  or our own eligibility scrutineers and I doubt it would be this year. 

However as the wording and I quote “ Fully Functional Passenger Seat “ has been written into our daft regs this year for W1 & W2 classes I’m seeking either approval of what I intend to use or specific requirements of what we must use for a passenger seat ! 

I agree Adam, but do the SSOT?

Early Westfield production seats were little different.

westfield-1600-sei_9598.jpg

Don't be fooled by the contouring and stitching; all these seat consisted of, were two physically separate wooden boards, one for the base, one for the back, each one then had blocks of shaped foam stuck to it, and the whole lot was wrapped in vinyl. (They weren't uncomfortable, either!)

Functionally, there's not much different to what Marto has.. and obviously, Pre Lits and earlier narrows even came with proper old school Lotus 7 style bench seats - litterally a cussion across the whole rear bulkhead with individual cushions under the driver and passenger - in practice, often just one big piece of padding that straddled the transmission tunnel and extended over the floor pan.

• Like 2

For me one key aspect of functional test is whether it would support the weight of a 75 - 100 kg notional adult.  I think if just foam on the floor and you would be sitting on the rivetted aluminium and not the steel cross members it is not functional. So the base should rigidly span the chassis cross braces in the same way that the drivers seat will always be checked for secure mounting.  I don't think the foam on the rear bulkhead is an issue.

I agree it should be consistently applied and clarified.

1 minute ago, Tillett Car Seats said:

For me one key aspect of functional test is whether it would support the weight of a 75 - 100 kg notional adult.  I think if just foam on the floor and you would be sitting on the rivetted aluminium and not the steel cross members it is not functional. So the base should rigidly span the chassis cross braces in the same way that the drivers seat will always be checked for secure mounting.  I don't think the foam on the rear bulkhead is an issue.

I agree it should be consistently applied and clarified.

Good point David and as you say needs to be clarified !

Current cars don't have aluminium seat pans, they are steel sheet, with no cross braces at all. Current seats, simply bolt rough with large spreader plates (extra large repair washers).

3 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Current cars don't have aluminium seat pans, they are steel sheet, with no cross braces at all. Current seats, simply bolt through with large spreader plates (extra large repair washers).

I was going to say that... but I was afraid to screw it up...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AdamR said:

I've instructed in worse!

You've subjected victims to worse too?!

12 minutes ago, tkm_dave said:

is his main activity...

20 minutes ago, tkm_dave said:

Ah yes. Much worse. Forgot about that 🙄

No pads at all. Doing passenger rides for Mission Motorsport. Big huge bloke. Bashed over the kerbs a lot at Three Sisters (so much so that he told me the next time I went he had cracked a rib) - the rivets didn't rip out and the floor pan fall off the car though, so I think it's safe to say that's been tested!

• Haha 2